2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 12:10 PM by hayzey

Basic Alerts don't work

Hello,

I am trying to get the alerting setup and working, but when I enable the basic alerts, they don't send the email. If I test fire the emails, they send and work fine, but if I manually pull the plug on a network device, I don't get the page.

I tested the Advanced Alerts and if I build the alerts in there, they will send, upon the device or node failing.

What am I missing here? I found one post on here from a long time ago saying the problem was because they were using a different snmp community string other than public. I am running NPM version 9.1.

• Re: Basic Alerts don't work

I would suggest trying several things:

1) Bring up a CMD line and attempt to Telnet to the IP using port 25. See if your mail server or relay responds. If it does;

2) Download Wireshark and run a capture while you're letting the alerts flow through (no test). See if the Exchange server is rejecting the messages for some reason.

3) Find and download a SMTP Relay (tons of 'em on the web) - put it on a basic server and point Orion at that box. See if the alerts go out at that point.

Let us know.

Philip

• Re: Basic Alerts don't work

Had the same problem at a client this week.  The "Time of Day" field was set "from 12:00AM to 12:00AM".  I changed it to "from 12:00AM to 11:59PM" and the alerts started working.  hope that helps.