3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 4:49 PM by genesys

IPAM Issues

Jamiesonj

Due to having another IP address Management system I was intreged on how the Solarwinds Product matched up.

These are the issues I have come accrossed in my short review.

NEGATIVES

1)  I was able to put in a duplicate Subnet range (very bad).

2)  I can't import the subnet range with the IP's.  You have to do each individually (No time for that).

3)  No option to discover subnets via a seed router (This is old school and should already be there).

4)  No user filter capability.

5)  Price is Extremely high.

POSITIVES

1)  I like the layout

2)  I also like the event logger.

Please let me know if anyone has solutions to the above issues.

Jamieson

• Re: IPAM Issues
          bshopp

Good feedback, on #2 can you describe more what you are seeing?  #3, we already have an enhancement logged in the system and #4 is high on our priority release for a future version.

• Re: IPAM Issues
              Jamiesonj

#2 issue is when importing from a file, there is no option for the subnet size.  Just an option for the IP address (Network ID). 

What I did to make sure I hade the right import documentation.  I created a small subnet and then exported it.  From there I then filled in any associated information listed inside the export file.

Here are the list of columns that are exported.

IPv4 Address
              DNS
              System Name
              Description
              Contact
              System Location
              Vendor
              Machine Type
              Comments
              Response Time
              Last Boot Time
              Last Synchronization
              Status
              System Object ID

As you can see there is a column for the Subnet ID but nothing for the mask.

When importing a file your pull down options do not give you a choice for subnet size.

If you try to import a CSV from the tool set Subnet List export.  It imports all the ip's but then if you have a network like mine were I have over 900 subnets there is an issue were you have to individually enter each subnet size.

If you want screen shots just let me know.

Jamieson