16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 12:57 PM by Peter.Cooper

Network View Sorting

BakerD

I know that once you are in this view, you can sort by any column by clicking on it.  The default or initial view seems to order alphabetically by the Display Name column.  I would like it to always order by the Address column, is this possible?

In EE Toolset I got around this by putting the address space in the name itself, but would like to get away from that as to make the Display names shorter.

Thanks

• Re: Network View Sorting
          Peter.Cooper

BakerD, are you referring to the tree within the Manage subnets & IP addresses page?

BakerD

BakerD, are you referring to the tree within the Manage subnets & IP addresses page?

Yes, sorry I could have been more specific.  Go to Manage subnets & IP tab.  Then click on a group that has networks listed under it.  On the right hand side the Network View tab is selected by default.  This is where I am talking about.

Peter.Cooper

Yes, sorry I could have been more specific.  Go to Manage subnets & IP tab.  Then click on a group that has networks listed under it.  On the right hand side the Network View tab is selected by default.  This is where I am talking about.

Columns for "Network View" and "IP Address View" are remembered for your account. You should be able to save your column settings, come back and have it the way you left it.

Please, give this a try: Sort by "Address". Shut down the browser, open it again, and it should remember.

BakerD

Columns for "Network View" and "IP Address View" are remembered for your account. You should be able to save your column settings, come back and have it the way you left it.

Please, give this a try: Sort by "Address". Shut down the browser, open it again, and it should remember.

Not working, I click to sort it by the Address column and it stays that way for any other networks I look at but as soon as I got back to IPAM Summary and then back in to Manage subnets it is back to ordering by Display Name.  Tried it both with FF3 and IE7.

BakerD

Still see the same thing in v1.0.1.  It doesn't matter if I'm looking at IP Address View or Network View, I sort by a column other than the default, click on IPAM Summary tab and then go back and they are again sorted by the default column.  Tried with both IE7 and FF3. 

Does this work for anyone else?  Just wondering if I am the only experience this specific issue.

Thanks

rgward

Peter,

#1 Beef - Will the sorting of the Network View tree under Manage Subnets & IP addresses be fixed soon in a SP? When using supernet/CIDR or subnet/CIDR as Display Name, addresses are sorted out of order.  See attached file.  This is a real pain trying to follow the tree structure and locate an address space.

#2 Beef - Unable to resize the Display Name and Description columns.  Our Network Tree is 5 levels deep and as you can see in the attached file image the Display Name (5th level) is truncated beginning in the 4th octet with loss of the /CIDR.  Also, only 20.5 chars of the Description are visable.  Will this be fixed in the next SP?

#3 Unable to view, group and sort Tree by Custom Fields.  Would like to see the same 3-tier grouping functionality as in the All Nodes - AJAX view in NPM.

Will there be an SP2?

Peter.Cooper

Hello rgward,

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Your experiences are represented (respectively) in our system by these identifiers: #931, #923, #723.

I'll ask Brandon to contact you on the answers that involve timelines / future releases.

bshopp

rgward,

Good feedback and as Peter indicated, we have those logged into our system.  I cannot commit to a timeframe on when those may be addressed at this time. 

rgward

Brandon,

Just applied SP2 and am very disappointed in the limited fixes it delivered.  It did not fix the sorting of the ip addresses in the IP Networks tree (Beef #1). We manage 9 Class B networks broken down in all sorts of variable bit masks from 19 bit to 30-bit and it is very frustrating to follow the tree structure and lookup a network when they are not in ascending address order.  Would SW please release a hotfix or SP3 to fix this asap?

Beef #2 should be a quick fix too.

For a new product, these should have been at the top of the fix list.

bshopp

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed, but Service Packs are intended to fix critical product issues.  You can see a full list of the fixes in the release notes.  I have your requests logged for consideration for our next release.

BakerD

Brandon,

Just applied SP2 and am very disappointed in the limited fixes it delivered.  It did not fix the sorting of the ip addresses in the IP Networks tree (Beef #1). We manage 9 Class B networks broken down in all sorts of variable bit masks from 19 bit to 30-bit and it is very frustrating to follow the tree structure and lookup a network when they are not in ascending address order.  Would SW please release a hotfix or SP3 to fix this asap?

Beef #2 should be a quick fix too.

For a new product, these should have been at the top of the fix list.

As this was the same in the EE ip manager, a work around we started doing is putting the names in with all three digits in each octet.  We also use a two letter acronym for each site location.  IE

XX - 010.100.020.X

XX - 010.100.021.X

YY - 010.099.010.X

and so on.

rgward

Thanks for the idea BakerD!

Brandon, I consider the inability to sort ip addresses in the proper order as very basic function of ip address management and consider this a product defect and critical product issue, not an enhancement.   This should have been corrected before the RC & GA hit the street since it was brought up by other customers in beta testing, me being one.  I don't consider it a minor issue.  Based on past experiences with product releases, we'll have to wait 6 months (Sept-Oct) to even find out if this will be considered and corrected in the next release.  I don't think we'll be waiting around.  Our Management already has another vendor coming onsite to demo their product later this week.  Hopefully they can do basic sorting of ip addresses as it should be.  So much for the money we dumped into this product.

bshopp

rgward,

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated, we are getting to items as quickly as we can.  The first two SP's we focused on resolving issues that users experienced which caused product operation problems.  I don't disagree with you in that this is a product usability issue and as such I have a specific line item calling this out for consideration in the next release. As BakerD pointed out, there is a workaround for this till we can get this addressed.  We are in the planning phase for the next release and as I have more information I can share, I will reach out to you.

rgward

Brandon,

Sort order still not fixed in 1.0.1 release.   This is really a reel beef with me.  So, what version and timeframe can we expect to see this simple sorting problem fixed? 

BTW, our management has committed to move on and procure another more robust IPAM product (that does sort addresses correctly) so I see the use of IPAM gradually being phased out in the next few months, probably before SW releases a fix, all because of a simple sorting issue.  The IP Networks Tree sorting and lack of ability to resize the Display Name and Description columns have been my own real pet peeves with this tool.

bshopp

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my previous post, when I said planning for next release I was not referring to 1.0.1, so I apologize if that was mis-leading.  1.0.1 was focused on addressing the licensing tweak and critical defects.  I have your item documented and we are listening and looking into addressing it. Will the workaround another user posted in this thread not work till we address this item?