38 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:38 PM by DanielleH

Cisco Nexus support?

BryanBecker

We are deploying Cisco Nexus 7000 series switches in a new location.  I added a test pair to the 9.5 beta and it doesn't look like the CPU is supported.  It will not show up on a view by default.  Is anyone else using Nexus or if not can someone from Cisco know when this will be supported?

Thanks.

BB

• Re: Cisco Nexus support?
          bshopp

Bryan,

I can respond to this.  We are working closely with the Nexus group on providing more complete support for the Nexus platform.  With 9.5, we performed some testing where we found gaps from an NPM stand point, including as you pointed out, CPU and we provided that data back to Cisco and are working with them on a solution.

I spent quite and effort setting custom pollers for a major project just to find out that the NEXUS gear does not support the MIBS and have not been successful in finding mibs to correct the issue.

bshopp

So the MIB link posted above by PSI are not giving you what you are looking for?  What were you attempting to poll, CPU and Memory as the others in this post?

July 1 2009, No changes in Nexus support from SW support or Cisco TAC. I have an open ticket with SW support "Case # 101892" and have submited an export of both private and standard MIB walks as well as I downloaded the the NEXUS mibs from CCO and uploaded them to the ticket with the response that SW dev would compile the mibs and plublish a new MIBS.CFG download so we can build the UnDP for the Nexus gear.

bshopp

You should be able to use the UnDP now, you can just enter the OID value into the UnDP.  

BryanBecker

It's been a few months since I came back to this.  I finally got to 9.5 and wondered from SW and the user community if anyone has got updates on support Cisco Nexus equipment?

SW - When will support be native out of Orion w/o the need for UnDP?

Everyone else - Does anyone have any UnDP to share to monitor CPU and other important items in the Nexus?

Thanks!

bshopp

This is still an open item we are working on for native OOTB support.  I will ping you offline and we can work together on the UnDP's and then maybe post them up

1 of 1 people found this helpful

I'm in my lab now: still don't work.  Here's the setup: Nexus 7010 NXOS 4.2.1 with NPM 9.5 SP4 and MIB Database from May 2009...

Still can't fetch CPU with standard MIB.

As I posted on Thu, May 21 2009 10:22 AM, Cisco said that we should use the CISCO-PROCESS-MID for CPU.

CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal5sec.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal1min.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal5min.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal5secRev.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal1minRev.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUTotal5minRev.1 
                                      CISCO-PROCESS-MIB cpmCPUMonInterval.1

I did a walk of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109 and the only CPU result is this one:

CISCO-PROCESS-MIBcpmCPUTotal5minRev.1

Still try to look if it makes sense and if CPU on the box shows on the MIB....
                                      I will let it run until Friday and look at the data then.

I'll keep you posted.

jtimes

Any new status on this thread?

I have been asked if OrionNPM will OOTB monitor the Nexus 7Ks yet?
                                      Our current version of OrionNPM is 10.0.0 SP1

bshopp

Yep should work just fine in 10.0, have you tried adding one yet?

1 of 1 people found this helpful

We have 2 Nexus 5020 and are not seeing much information

bshopp

What are you looking to see or what is missing that you think you should see?

BryanBecker

Brandon,

Speaking for myself...I think this has been long enough time to have Nexus support OOTB with NPM.  I posted this thread over 2 years ago.  Simple things like CPU and Memory should be available by now (not useing a UnDP) since the Nexus is Cisco's flagship DC switch and more customers are going to it.  We have over 30 ourselves.  I understand that new products require UnDP to get this but these items, by this time, should be available by now without UnDP.

I have the same issues for Citrix NetScalers.

If the product feature requests forum is the right place to submit requests for support like this then that's fine.  It may be bettwen to set up an email address that devolpers monitor and priority based on the number of requests.

BB

bshopp

Brian, what version are you on?  Nexus should be support fully out of the box, hence my previous post of what is missing you think should be there.  In 10.0 we made some changes to better support the Nexus gear.  If things like CPU/Memory are missing, then that is a bug.

BryanBecker

Brandon,

Sorry it took long to get back to you.  I'm on 10.1.2 SP1 and Nexus support 1/2 works.  The radial gauges work but the trending of memory and cpu show no data selected.  I had to revert back to my UnDP to get the graphs.

Can this be tested again to see if I'm missing something?  I checked the node details view and it has the standard graphs that work with the other Cisco products.

BB

bshopp

Brian, as we exchanged in email yesterday, I tested on a Nexus 7k with the latest NXOS version and CPU and Memory showed up no problem.

Quick question, when you upgraded Orion to a new version, did you do a list resources on that 7k and select CPU/Memory to be monitored?

BryanBecker

Brandon...I'm still having issues with this.  I have 2 pollers that show guages (share the same db server but have sepearted DBs) but the cpu/memory trending graphs show no data for selected period.

I have another pair of Orion servers that doen't show the CPU/Memory graphs at all.  These 2 servers are on a different SQL server and have its own DB.

I have a support ticket open.  We are at 10.1.3

BB