18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 11:50 PM by michael248363

Importing IPs from ToolSet's IP Address Management

sean.boston

Hello Thwack;

Has anyone been successful in importing IP addresses from Toolset's IP address Management app into IPAM?

Regards

• Re: Importing IPs from ToolSet's IP Address Management
          tonyled

i too found no way to do this and have been entering all of mine manually

bshopp

There is a command line utility you can  run to import subnets and IP's from Toolset, let me get the directions for you and re-post

bshopp

Here you go

The parameter after STOP and START need to be enclosed within double quotes (and not the ones Word replaces on you with).

1.   Locate the Toolset IP Address Manager database on your Toolset server.

Note: The Toolset IP Address Manager database has an .ipdb extension.

2.   Copy the Toolset IP Address Manager database to an appropriate location on your Orion server.

3.   Open the Command Prompt on your Orion server.

Note:Typically, the command prompt may be opened by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

4.   Enter CD <volume>:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\IPAM.

5.   Enter NET STOP "SolarWinds IPAM Information Service"

6.   Enter SolarWinds.IPAM.Init.exe -import <Full path to your Toolset IP Address Manager database>.

7.   Enter NET START "SolarWinds IPAM Information Service"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    rgward

We have already populated IPAM with all our supernets and some subnets.  If we import our Toolset IPDB will IPAM insert each subnet under the corresponding supernet?  What happens if IPAM encounters a duplicate subnet on import?

Peter.Cooper

rgward,

That's an excellent point you bring up. I'm glad you asked.

The import tool was meant to help initialize the install. It will seek out an existing subnet of the same address space and overwrite its contents.  I wouldn't recommend you run it since all your subnets have been added... leading to a potential reversion of changes.

New subnets are added under "IP Networks"... the top level group.

rgward

Thanks Peter for your quick reply!   Okay, this will work for us, I think.  We're not doing any polling of subnet address spaces yet.  So, with the Toolset subnets imported at the top level, we should be able to drag and drop them into the proper supernet.

BakerD

I am not sure if this step was suppose to be verbatim but didn't work for me:

5.   Enter NET STOP SolarWinds IPAM Information Service.

I used: net stop swipaminformationservice

After figuring that out, the import failed for me so I will be contacting support on it.

bshopp

Can you post the error you are getting?

BakerD

Can you post the error you are getting?

Sure, it was:

Unhandled Exception: System.OverflowException: Failed to convert parameter value from a UInt64 to a Int64. ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int64.

I just got off the phone with tech support and they had a hotfix for it and the import worked great afterwards.

sean.boston

Here is the error I'm getting.....

Can someone post the hotfix?

E:\Orion\IPAM>solarwinds.ipam.init.exe -import DiaglabsIPMan.ipdb

Unhandled Exception: System.OverflowException: Failed to convert parameter value
                                             from a UInt64 to a Int64. ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too l
                                            arge or too small for an Int64.
                                               at System.Convert.ToInt64(UInt64 value)
                                               at System.UInt64.System.IConvertible.ToInt64(IFormatProvider provider)
                                               at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvid
                                            er provider)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType dest
                                            inationType)
                                               --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType dest
                                            inationType)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.GetCoercedValue()
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.Validate(Int32 index, Boolean isCommand
                                            Proc)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.BuildParamList(TdsParser parser, SqlParam
                                            eterCollection parameters)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.BuildExecuteSql(CommandBehavior behavior,
                                             String commandText, SqlParameterCollection parameters, _SqlRPC& rpc)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBe
                                            havior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
                                            ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult
                                             result)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
                                            ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, S
                                            tring method)
                                               at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
                                               at SolarWinds.IPAM.Storage.DAL.IPNodeDAL._ListOfNonExistentIpOrdinal(Int32 su
                                            bnetId, String rangestring)
                                               at SolarWinds.IPAM.Storage.DAL.IPNodeDAL.EnsureOrdinals(Int32 subnetId, Strin
                                            g rangestring)
                                               at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.FinalizeSubnetImport(SubnetInfo parent
                                            )
                                               at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.ImportToolsetSubnetsDatabase(String fi
                                            lepath, ImportMode mode, List`1 results)
                                               at IPAM.Init.Program.Import()
                                               at IPAM.Init.Program.Main(String[] args)

E:\Orion\IPAM>

michael248363

Is there a way to also import the description of the subnet?  I'm going from a spreadsheet and importing that into the toolset database file using Access and then importing that into IPAM.  Can I modify the Toolset .ipdb file in Access and add a column or have it in my original spreadsheet that will allow this information to be added as well?   I've tried adding a column named Description with the information, but that didn't import the information.  Is there a different name that column should be called?

Thanks,

Michael D. Jones

JetBlue Airways