This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

what's the deal with INTERFACE TYPE and Gigabit?

i did a report on Gigabit Interfaces and it seems wrong. i have more in Orion System Manager than what gets reported.

Report Writer, plus a Resource View named "Number of Interfaces by Type", shows only a few 'Gigabit' interfaces.

why are gigabit ports showing up as INTERFACE TYPE 6 'ethernetCsmacd' (Gigabit ports at speeds of 1.0 GB) and (a few) as INTERFACE TYPE 117 'gigabitEthernet'?

• i think i found it, but its kinda misleading the way it is named by Interface Type and this may be because of some RFC.  i guess i'll live with it unless someone at Solarwinds speaks out about this. it involves switch modules with port names GigabitEthernet and/or Port.

Solarwinds calls a GigabitEthernet switch-port as ethernetCsmacd and a Port switch-port as gigabitEthernet.

Here's a basic report to catch this and i'm using a NODE Custom Property named Device.Type.

SELECT
    Interfaces.Caption AS Interface_Caption, Interfaces.FullName AS Full_Name, Interfaces.InterfaceTypeName AS Interface_Type_Name, Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed AS Interface_Speed, Interfaces.InterfaceTypeDescription AS Interface_Type_Description
     FROM
    Nodes INNER JOIN Interfaces ON (Nodes.NodeID = Interfaces.NodeID)
     WHERE 
    (
      (Nodes.Device_Type = 'switch') AND
      (
       (Interfaces.InterfaceTypeName LIKE '%gigabitethernet%') OR
       (Interfaces.Caption LIKE '%gigabitethernet%'))
    )

ORDER BY 1 ASC