77 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 1:43 AM by aaron_daniels

Wish List

Dear Santa,

Please bring me the following in IPAM v1.1

• The ability to filter small blocks (/30's) tracked as a resource in IPAM but not needed as a top ten notify on web-page (I HATE RED!) when all host in subnet are allocated or reserved
        • Tried manual never scan etc. 
      • NPM Custom Property Integration 
      • Traps
      • Separate import export functionality for low level users who need to export IP's without granting power-user status
      • Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
      • The ability to report on container groups
      • The ability to filter IP's by groups
      • The ability to filter groups of IP's and then assign them to user accounts within Solar Winds web accounts (example - I'm an international shop, I want my London folks to only see those IP's I've cataloged as belonging to London, and Asia Pacific, Asia pacific IP's)
      • A pony
      • and a plastic rocket

PS - If any of Santa's elves can answer to these points now, thanks for that

• Re: Wish List
          bshopp

Terrific feedback and for sure noted.

I can say # 8 is high on my hit list for the next release and other items listed above we already had on the list.  I would like try pry into a couple of these items further.

Traps - what are you thinking here, just filtered intergration with the Orion Trap view?

Reporting on contrainer groups - I  assume you mean categories?  Do you have something specific in mind you would like to report on?  

Keep the feedback coming!!

Traps is the wrong word,

I'd like  the ability to generate a filterable event within Solarwinds Alert Manager.  When a scope reaches a certain threshold, a scripted event of some sort would then take place. That would lend itself well to work flows as an admin receives an email regarding DHCP scope and modifies excluded/reserved IP's based on usage to relieve the pressure.

Reporting on container groups - group being the key word. So my IP "tree" has the master high level group, with child groups for each region of the world, DMZ's, CIDR's, Public IP, Management networks, wireless networks, available networks, transport networks, and loopbacks within it.

Having the ability to pick a group from my tree and generate a report on it (any available report) would be swell.

And yes, for what SWis asking for this product,  you can bet I'll be keeping the feedback coming.

Again, the ability to subnet a given network and have it remain in it's parent group without having to create individual networks separately would be really handy. You could add a tag under status for those IP's lost to subnetting when the parent IP is carved up.

Cheers

mtxpert

I'd like to add that the user integration should allow specific users to be assigned to specific groups and that they can assign IP addresses in those groups but not be able to edit outside of those groups.

bshopp

Got it, already high on the list for a future release

rene.verhagen@netserve.nl

Hi Brandon and others,

Am running the IPX-version of IPAM, and have some questions / wishes / comments as well. My list is absolutely not complete, but here are my current entries:

• cosmetic one: when a scan completes, report it in the logs as (say) 3m15s instead of 3.25 minutes;
                          • have a tab called 'View subnet scan status'; now we have to go to the managed ip-subnets, select a subnet, click scan and then 'View subnet scan status'; imho this could be a global option and suitable for a tab of its own;
                          • make the chart view clickable; now it says xx transient adresses (for example); would be nice to drill down on those adresses;
                          • link SNMP credentials to subnets; we are monitoring subnets for 35 customer LANs, and in that case it would be good to provide SNMP credentials per subnet, instead of globally;
                          • when scanning remote subnets, at the moment it is not possible to find the hostnames for the adresses, as IPAM does not know the DNS server to be contacted; again, in our case we're monitoring numerous customers subnets, and those subnets are of course not named in our DNS; so it would be nice to provide IPAM with a DNS server (per subnet, and optionally) that it should contact when monitoring remote subnets;
                          Think this is it for the moment.
                          Overal, IPAM is a real cool tool, and I am really happy with all the feedback that is posted here on thwack, as well as with the support and comments that SolarWinds offers here!
                          Regards,
                          Rene

bshopp

Thanks for the feedback Rene, this is good, I have noted these items in our internal tracking system.

I would like to see an option to turn off color coding of a subnet's status on a subnet-by-subnet basis.  In the current release, if you have a small subnet used for a WAN link which only has 4 addresses, it is marked in red as dangerously full.  Since there is no need for any other devices to be added, having it be red just makes it difficult to see the real problems--especially if you have many of these subnets.

Maybe a check box to turn off the color coding for that subnet and allow the color to be white or pale gray?

I agree, or add a value field that doesn't count against availability metrics.

I have many 30 transport networks scattered across my network.

Peter Cooper (of SW) was kind enough to walk me through the custom field entry from the subnet property page.

We created a field called "Purpose" (which I then populated), and applied a filter  to the top XX report that excluded any subnet with pupose field applied.

It has removed the 30 bit networks from my top XX reports.

• When editing idividual objects within a scanned subnet, completing the editing returns the to the first page of the subnet.  
                            • it would be nice to stay on the range (page) being edited, it saves the user from scouring through supernets finding the particular resource they were editing when done.

• Please add a "Do not ask me again" check box when editing an ip resource

IP type from dynamic to static user managed

I have a pretty simple request (I think).

I prefer to use the subnet address for the Display Name of the subnet, so that I can quickly scan all the subnets in the left pane and find the one I am looking for.

The problem is that IPAM does not list the IP subnets in the correct order in the left-pane.  For example, a /24 subnetted into /29's should look like this:

10.1.1.0 /29
                            10.1.1.16/29
                            10.1.1.24/29
                            10.1.1.32/29
                            10.1.1.112 /29

etc

IPAM lists it like this:

10.1.1.0 /29
                            10.1.1.112 /29
                            10.1.1.120 /29
                            10.1.1.16 /29

As you can see, the subnets get jumbled up.

Also, by default, the right-pane orders the subnets in the same way.  However, you can click on the Address column and it will re-order the subnets correctly.  It would be nice to have a way to define the default ordering method/column for both the right and left-pane.

Just getting started, will be back with more!

I said I'd be back, but didnt think this quickly:

When adding a new subnet, by default, IPAM marks the First address and last address as Subnet Address and Broadcast Address respectively (as it should).  However, only the Broadcast  Address is marked as "Reserved".  The Subnet Address should be "Reserved" as well.

Wish List:

The scanning interval GUI is horrendus.  Get rid of the touchy slider and let us just type in the times we want to scan.  Also, give some flexibility.  Maybe I dont want my scopes scanned on Thursdays.  Who knows.  But the slider should go.

Why, everytime I make any change to an IP, after the change loads,  I am directed back to page one of my range?  This is frustrating.   After I endit an IP on page 5 of my range, I would like to stay on page 5.  Not go back to 1.

IP Range -

Adding an IP range works perfect.  Deleting an IP range is torture.  Unless I am missing something, to delete an IP range, you have to manually select the IPs in the range.  Why cant the delete work jsut as the add works.  Just type in my starting and ending IPs, and choose whether to delete or add.

Multiple selections:

PLease fix the multiselect option.  Right now, I have to click in the ROW, hold down shift, then click in another ROW to select all rows in between.  What are the checkboxes for?  The multiselect does not work when using the checkboxes.  weird.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.      

I would like to 2nd the request to have a way to turn off the "alarming" based on how many IP's are free.

In my environment, I have alot of small subnets (/30's and /29's) and they are expected to use most or all of the IP's.  It would be nice to be able to turn off the alarming on a per-subnet basis.

It would also be nice to be able to customize the color coding of the subnets.  As I mentioned, I dont really care how many IP's are available in my network.  But I would like to be able to color code the subnets.  I currently do this in Excel, marking subnets that are not in use Red, and subnets that are live Green.

Additionally, it would be nice to have a way to add custom "Status" tags & colors for the IP's.

rgward

I would like to 2nd the request to have a way to turn off the "alarming" based on how many IP's are free.

In my environment, I have alot of small subnets (/30's and /29's) and they are expected to use most or all of the IP's.  It would be nice to be able to turn off the alarming on a per-subnet basis.

ABSOLUTLEY!!! what dgrant and AlbanyNYMike say.  Great requests!  I hate the slide bar for scanning interval.

BakerD

A History field that keeps say the last 5 IP/DNS matches or have it user setable to maybe days/weeks to keep the history.  This would be good for those subnets like DHCP ranges that are scanned often.  I can see where someone might need to see who had an IP a few hours or days ago or even last week, but if a scan has already run and updated it's status there is no way to know.

Or even if someone edits an IP by mistake, it would be easy to see what is was before and change it back.

Or maybe a history that just keeps the last 5 changes and not base it on a time frame.

Thanks

bshopp

BakerD,

We do keep a history of events within IPAM.  You can see the last XX events from the IPAM Summary Home page or you can use Report Writer to get a larger set or filter down event history.

BakerD

BakerD,

We do keep a history of events within IPAM.  You can see the last XX events from the IPAM Summary Home page or you can use Report Writer to get a larger set or filter down event history.

Too complicated to me.  If I'm looking at an IP, it would be great to be able to see right there say the last 5 changes/edits.

If you have a lot of things going on in your network, the last xx events can bury things fast.  

Again, creating a custom report doesn't seem convenient to me.  I don't want to have to go into report writer anytime I need to see what all has happened to a certain IP in a time frame.  Unless I am missing something here, this doesn't seem at all easy to do.

bshopp

We do have thoughts and ideas on how to make this more accessible in a future version for sure.  Main point I was getting at was, although maybe not optimal, some of that data can be access with 1.0

I've managed this issue through strict use of account priviledges across helpdesks. may not solve the issue - but definately reduces edits on across the board.  

Also - custom reporting is a cinch (and I'm SQL challenged)

I'd to re-post the wish that future revs allow for subnetting within a parent IP from the parent IP.

If I have a 24 bit network butchered up for management puposes, please allow me to managed the butchered bits from with the parent IP. Creating 400 management networks is a real pain in the ****.

BakerD

Imported IPs or networks default to automatic scanning disabled.  We had several dormant or networks no longer in use but we wanted to keep all the information from the last scan as a reference.  After importing into IPAM, it started scanning these and since they were not reachable anymore it wiped out all the contents from DNS etc. 

Edit:  Another reason = once the import was done, I would have liked to be able to rename/reorganize the imported networks before any scanning or other actions started off on them.

irishjd

Here is a real simple request. When sorting on the address fied, have an option to sort numberically in addition to alphabetically. By this I mean, if I want to sort by address, then I expect to see x.x.1.x, x.x.2.x, x.x.3.x, etc and not x.x.1.x, x.x.22.x, x.x.7.x, etc. Not very significant, just a little annoying.

Jon

BakerD

Option to add a column to show scan interval when viewing a subnets on the right hand side.  The network view section you see that tells you a networks IP total, usage, used, available, etc.

Thanks

BakerD

Sorry if these have already been mentioned, but I just skimmed the thread.

Option to set a time for the scans to run.  For ones that say run once a day or week etc, but able to say you want it to run at a certain time.  I would rather keep network traffic down during the day and run these type of scans at night.

Thanks

Is there any way we can colour code unused subnets so they are easy to identify?  for example we use 172.16.0.0/16 split into (mainly) 24bit subnets.  Not all of these are used, but it would be nice to have them greyed out if there are no devices on the network segment scanned?

Also wild card searches.  If i want to see if a particular IP if free across our entire estate can i do a search such as 172.16.*.250 for example?

bshopp

On the first item, right now the color coding is based on subnet usage, I will add an enhancement to the system.

On the second item you can do wildcard searches from the IPAM Summary Home page or from the Manage Subnets and IP's page as well.  Is it not working for you?

Sadly not. all we get is the following:

the other two pages only show another two addresses, 172.16.244.250 and 172.16.247.250.  The same addresses appear on pages 2 and 3!!  being as we have a 172.16.0.0/16 supernet i'd expect to see alot more addresses showing as free!!!! Especially as the .250 address is in our resevered addressing space! 

Interestingly i have just noticed it is displaying 1-2 of 255 do i just need to adjust the display options somewhere?

Cheers

Dan

JesperVestergaard

And iven more cool, if you´d make a view like the syslog / event view - Searchable from the webpage, instead of creating customized reports to find one specific ip change from x to y

bshopp

So you would like to see IPAM events be searchable?  What if you could from an individual IP see the last 5 or 10 change events, would that suffice as well?

mattjenkins

Id love to be able to mass edit IP address's or be able to globally set static/dynamic address when i add a subnet..

eg. we use .100 - .240 for DHCP everything else is static.. being able to setup the static/dynamic when i add the subnet would be great instead of having to manually change every ip address....

JesperVestergaard

Hi.

That would be cool too !!

but for me it would not be enough. I imagine that some sort of event happened - and i need to find it in my datacenter , or even in my country subnet.

Thats why i liked the syslog-like view.

But your suggestion should be noted too - in the event i´m looking at one single ip, it could be nice to see the last xx events on this IP address aswell.

rgward

Within the IP Networks tree, I would like to be able at a glance to scan/scroll down the tree and see what supernets or subnets are used (i.e., at least one host address detected/assigned).  One means of doing this would be appending Available/Used/Transient counts to the end of the Display Name or added as another column. For examples, for a 24 bit network using subnet/CIDR for the Display name...

10.1.1.0 /24 (150/104/0)

10.1.2.0 /24 (254/0/0)

or

10.1.1.0 /24 (Avail/150, Used/104,Trans/0)

10.1.2.0 /24 (Unused)

I would also like to have the option to select configured custom properties that have been assigned to the supernet/subnet also be displayable in the tree. Would also like to be able to resize the column (which you cannot do with Display Name and Description either) and sort the tree by custom property.

iainskwatt

I would like to request the ability to edit multiple addresses at once. I had to go through changing the type on over 100 addresses earlier, one by one. If I could tick all the addresses I wanted and the click edit so I could edit the fields that could be the same, like Type, Vendor, etc.

It took me ages to change the type on the 100+ addresses.

bshopp

Got it, this is one we have heard from many users and will address in a future release

I would really like to request that IPAM allow the creation of /31 and /32 subnets in both the wizard and the normal add subnet menu's.

Actually I am surprised that the option is not there since it is quite common now days to use these subnets for loopbacks and for point to point connections.

bshopp

Good feedback, as a workaround you could always define a /30 and delete out the IP's except the two you care about monitoring in that subnet

Problem with that is we are actually using the two that would normally be assoitiated as the subnet and broadcast of a /30

example

172.30.252.8/30

172.30.252.8 would be subnet, usable IP's would be .9 and .10 and broadcast would be .11

for the /31

172.30.252.8/31 would be the one side of a serial link and .9 would be the other side

172.30.252.10/31 would be the one side of a serial link and .11 would be the other side

So using your suggested work around would not really work since I would have to skip IP's

I did find a way around but it is not pretty, I first create a supernet with a /24, then I create multiple /30 subnets in that supernet, then go to each subnet and mark the "subnet" and "broadcast" IP's as available (by default they are marked as reserved).

I would think that this would be a relatively easy thing to fix in the code, but then I am not a programmer.

Thanks

achrich

Another shout out for

I would really like to request that IPAM allow the creation of /31 and /32 subnets in both the wizard and the normal add subnet menu's.

The /30 work around doesn`t really work if you have a lot of sequentenial 31`s in use.

Thanks.

bshopp

Got it, I  will append you to the request

mattjenkins

Can you add me to the /31 and /32 request as well

bshopp

Will do

Bshopp,

With respect to 30+ networks, If you roll back to the initial post on this thread, any chance we can get an update on this concept ?

• Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
                                                                                                          • It would be so much easier to create subnets within a parent block, maybe have logic built into IPAM that restricts IP's based on a specific mask assigned to a given IP (i.e. net ID and broadcast for non-classful subnet boundries).

For those us who engineer networks and need to track loads of transport networks, management vlans etc. This would be fantastic.

The ability to take a parent block and carve it up with having to create individual networks per subnet off the parent IP.  

here's hoping

mattjenkins

Hi have another one based around Roles.

Basically I only want my 'Operator' to be able to manage individual IP address's and none of the other curent 'op' rights

bshopp

Hi have another one based around Roles.

Basically I only want my 'Operator' to be able to manage individual IP address's and none of the other curent 'op' rights

Customizable roles and permissions is an open enhancement request in our system, I will add you to this request

dyarnevich

I'd love to see an automated daemon form of the Switch Port Mapper from the Engineers Toolset integrated with this module to bring full drill-down intelligence of IP information within the network. It would run against the device database in NPM to gather information and pump into IPAM.

I want ARP and CAM information scraped out of my routers, firewalls and switches such that I can do things like either add tabs with the switch hostname/IP, port number, and MAC address for each IP entry to the table view, or alternatively hide those tabs and be able to click an IP to drill into this information.

Currently there are few options for this information in a vendor-neutral context. There's Netdisco (open-source, but very out-of-date in terms of development), Infoblox PortIQ (appliance that they sell standalone, and to hook into their appliance IPAM solution), and perhaps a couple others. I'd love to have this intelligence brought into the Orion pane of glass.

In my view, this information is integral to any IPAM solution, though it's essentially never provided as an "under-one-roof" feature.

Regards,

David

bshopp

I'd love to see an automated daemon form of the Switch Port Mapper from the Engineers Toolset integrated with this module to bring full drill-down intelligence of IP information within the network. It would run against the device database in NPM to gather information and pump into IPAM.

I want ARP and CAM information scraped out of my routers, firewalls and switches such that I can do things like either add tabs with the switch hostname/IP, port number, and MAC address for each IP entry to the table view, or alternatively hide those tabs and be able to click an IP to drill into this information.

Currently there are few options for this information in a vendor-neutral context. There's Netdisco (open-source, but very out-of-date in terms of development), Infoblox PortIQ (appliance that they sell standalone, and to hook into their appliance IPAM solution), and perhaps a couple others. I'd love to have this intelligence brought into the Orion pane of glass.

In my view, this information is integral to any IPAM solution, though it's essentially never provided as an "under-one-roof" feature.

David, this is for sure a terrific idea we have heard and talked about internally as well to consider for a future release

Is there any way to alert me when Key ip addresses become "live". 

For example when we open a new site the router address is always .1  If i can be alerted if goes from unused to used  then i can track which of my sites are coming online ahead or behind schedule.

Cheers

Dan

bshopp

As a formal build in feature of IPAM using the alerting framework, not currently, we have that as an open enhancement request.  However, do you own APM?  If so, there is a workaround you could possibly use.

no we don't have APM at the moment.

bshopp

OK, just checking as there is a workaround if you do.  As I mention, native support for this in IPAM is an open enhancement request we have in the system

dwiens

Here are some of the things we would like to see in future releases...

1. In the GUI, if the editable fields (i.e. Comments) for the individual IPs could be updated without having to select the IP then click Edit above.  To just be able to click on the field and edit it right there. 

2. I know earlier in the post someone mentioned the issue that when you finish editing an IP on page five it takes you back to page one.  I'll second or third that as an "annoying" feature.  If it would take us back to the same page and possibly to the last edited IP would be nice so I don't have to scroll to find where I was at.

3. I emailed Brandon and Peter on this already, but we would like to see something similar to the NCM change report.  So when a subnet scan completes a report is generated showing the changes since the previous scan for that subnet.  My thought would be a report with a section showing IPs that went active since the last scan and another section showing IPs that went transient or became available since the last scan.  A last section to show system changes (i.e. system name changes, or OS change).

Thanks!

justinh

I would like to re-iterate how critical being able to search all the fields on sub/supernets is to us.  We can't get rid of our old spread sheets until we can reliably find a subnet based on customer names, locations, etc...

bshopp

So let me answer the last three posts.

dwiens, #1 is an interesting idea for us to consider going forward #2 I agree on that being an annoyance, we have it filed and yes I do have your #3 use case.  With a custom SQL report against the IPAM Events table you might be able to do something like that today, but an interesting idea for the future for the product as well.

justinh, agree here, we have this open as a higher priority item to look at an address 

BMac, can you explain your use case a little further please?

KCWayner

I would like to see an Audit report of what IP's are found within IPAM but are not within NPM.  We have a lot of people that add devices and it would be nice to find them without having to manually go through and check each one.

CS_LIU,

Here's what I use to get rid of those RED /30 subnets...

Top 10 Subnets by % IP Address Used --> Edit
                                                                                                                    Filter Subnets (SQL): Subnet.CIDR = 24 (enter this filter, see if that works for you)

HTH....

Would like the ability to scan large block of addresses (/8 or /16 for instance) and search for a contiguous block of IPs (/24 for instance). 

guod

We would like the ability to add our own statuses and color codes  for example....Static Networked printers -brown, video conference systems - blue.

We would also like the ability to specify which SNMP strings are associated with which subnet so that the system doesn't have to go through 3 community strings before it gets to the correct one for client B's subnet.

mavturner

Thanks for the feedback guod and aaron_daniels. Those are features we've had other customers request too.

Don331

Wish List: Be able to permanently exclude a range of IP's from being scanned within a subnet.

Why? Really couldn't care less about what happens within our scope areas, which typically (with a class C subnet) are the .101 -.254 addresses. They get DHCP addresses, and that's great......

But, I REALLY want to know when something plants it's IP-**** in the .1 -.100 range, as all of those should be static addresses - servers, printers, video cameras, etc.

Don

mavturner

Don,

That is an interesting request. Does it cause any problems to scan those addresses or are you just trying to minimize the amount of traffic being sent? Anyone else out there think this would be useful in their environment?

Mav

mattjenkins

I like what Don331 has said but.... mine would be a bit different as i would still want to scan my whole subnet, but id like to be able to alert on only ip changes in the .1-.100 and .241-.254 range which are my static/reserved address's.

ie. so if a static ip went from avaible to used without going reserved first i want to get alerted... (as someone hasn't requested the ip address)

Kinda ties in to what Don331 wants (well i think so)

Discoman

I'd like to see an option to do a more indepth scan of a subnet.  I've got some devices that do not respond to pings for security reasons.  I'm not sure what else IPAM does to identify hosts, but it doesn't pick up our "stealthed" devices.  We can find these devices by doing port scans.  It would be nice if IPAM had the ability to some more indepth port scanning to flag these IP's as used.  Currently I have to manually edit the list so that these IP's are not flagged as available.

smartd

I evaluated a full blown IPAM tool, and they had a subnet template tool that would automatically assign ip ranges to DHCP, different VLANs, etc when the subnet is created.  Now, these tools built the DHCP...  Didn't just report them... so this was more critical.

mavturner

Thanks Dan, those are both very great points. At this time, we have no plans to expand beyond monitoring for Address Management. As always, we'll continue to monitor this request.

smartd

I understand not wanting to do DHCP and DNS management.  I didn't explain my point very well.  I'd still like to see a template capability that would allow you to automatically add attributes to blocks of IP addresses in a new subnet....   Block that are DHCP managed, blocks that are assigned to different VLANs, etc.  

I think that would be best implemented as an enhancement to the SuperNet object.  We could have a Supernet template.  Once template would be for a plant /24 mask supernet.  It would automatically create a subnet for the DHCP scope, and would create subnets for the various VLANs.  Alternatively, or in addition, it could automatically populate fields for each IP address and/or subnet such as gateway IP, VLAN ID, Department, etc.

What I've started doing is creating a Supernet for every subnet (/24 or greater).  Then create a /24 subnet under it.  If I wanted to carve it up into vlans, I can create the new smaller subnets and delete the /24.  A template system would make this quicker, and allow populating key fields automatically. 

jspanitz

We would like a single discovery engine that does all the discovery for all products.  That way there is one place to define snmp strings, credentials, etc.  And a single scan could have multiple puposes.  For instance, I may do a nightly full in depth scan that would churn up used IPs, Devices and Ports.  That info could be consumed by NPM, NTA, APM and IPAM.  I may then have smaller IPAM type scans throughout the day.

We would also like the ability to right click on an address in IPAM and either create a new NPM / APM resource or jump to the existing NPM / APM resource.

I personally also like the custom color options, as we could match those up with our internal scheme.

aaron_daniels

We would like a single discovery engine that does all the discovery for all products.

Absolutely, this single scan should also scan for IOS DHCP scopes (if IPAM is installed), IP SLA Monitors (if IPSLA is installed). etc, etc, etc..

As for the backend, This could all be stored in the NPM nodes table, currently we have the nodes table, the network sonar discovery table, the IPAM address table (sorry not onsite now, cant lookup the tablenames).

I'm no DBA but id' imagine this simplification of the database would make things far more efficient as well?

Thanks,
                                                                                                                                                          Aaron

smartd

I'd like to be able to check the box on an IP in IPAM subnet details, and create a managed node in Orion NPM.  IPAM works like a discovery tool, so this would be a nice addition.