5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 2:18 PM by chris.lapoint

Licensing Toolset v10 on non Internet connected workstations

rsprim

We are currently using v9.2 of the toolset across 3 different networks with 2 of the networks not being connected to the Internet.  I was suprised to learn that the software licensing method for this version has changed greatly from v9.2.

I have 19 licenses to install and it appears that in order to register this software on our non-Internet connected networks we have to:

1.  Generate a 64 character computer name as part of setup and write it down
      2.  Go over to an internet connected machine log into our customer portal and enter our name, phone number, e-mail address and 64 character computer name.
      3.  We are then prompted to download a file that we can use to register the software for that machine.

Because I'm installing on multiple computers at a time, I will need to document the machine name and exit out of the installation program for that machine and move to the next machine.  After I've done this for 13 machines, I need to go to the website and  register all them (832 characters worth), download and rename the files to the actual computer name and burn them to a CD (we can't use thumb drives as a government customer).  I then have to go back to each workstation and re-run the setup and repair the installation to get back to where I can provide the file to register the computer.  I'm praying that this works as I have not actually done this yet but this is what I believe will need to happen.

This licensing method is unlike any of the other products.  Can anyone shed some light on why it changed so dramatically and if the other products will be moving to this licensing method (I hope not)?  I would also like to know if there is an easier way for me to license these products and if it can be made easier in a future release for those of us who use the product mainly on non-internet connected networks?  Thanks for your time.

Robert 

• Re: Licensing Toolset v10 on non Internet connected workstations
          Andy McBride

Hi rsprim,

We are moving to a new licensing and Toolset is the first produt to implement it. I appreciate your feedback as it will help us to plan for this type of an environment. I'll share the feedback with the licensing Product Manager as well. To help you get through this I suggest you give support a call.

Andy

chris.lapoint

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm the PM for our new licensing system which we plan to roll out to all our products.  Toolset obviously presents some unique challenges in offline scenarios given the number of licenses some customers like yourself have to activate.   We definitely understand where you're coming from and will work to improve this with subsequent iterations.

I've tried to answer each of your questions/concerns below.   Let me know if I missed any.

Thanks,

-Chris

I have 19 licenses to install and it appears that in order to register this software on our non-Internet connected networks we have to:

1.  Generate a 64 character computer name as part of setup and write it down
            2.  Go over to an internet connected machine log into our customer portal and enter our name, phone number, e-mail address and 64 character computer name.
            3.  We are then prompted to download a file that we can use to register the software for that machine.

That is a correct summary of the process although we had intended the 64 character unique machine ID to be copied to the clipboard and printed or sent via email to a machine with Internet access.

Because I'm installing on multiple computers at a time, I will need to document the machine name and exit out of the installation program for that machine and move to the next machine.  After I've done this for 13 machines, I need to go to the website and  register all them (832 characters worth), download and rename the files to the actual computer name and burn them to a CD (we can't use thumb drives as a government customer).

There is definitely more that we could do to make this process easier.  One of the things we're considering for a future release is to allow users to enter a list of unique machine IDs (versus one at a time), input email address, and then bulk generate license files (with machine name pre-appended to each file).

I then have to go back to each workstation and re-run the setup and repair the installation to get back to where I can provide the file to register the computer.  I'm praying that this works as I have not actually done this yet but this is what I believe will need to happen.

You do NOT need to re-run the setup and repair the installation. Once installed, you simply need to launch a tool (e.g. workspace studio) and the nag screen to enter licensing information will come up again (similar to old licensing).   You may also click on the Enter Licensing link on the Start Menu under Engineer's Toolset folder.

This licensing method is unlike any of the other products.  Can anyone shed some light on why it changed so dramatically and if the other products will be moving to this licensing method (I hope not)?  I would also like to know if there is an easier way for me to license these products and if it can be made easier in a future release for those of us who use the product mainly on non-internet connected networks?  Thanks for your time.

I'm not allowed to speak to the specifics of how our licensing works (and why it required longer keys), but there are several advantages afforded by the new licensing system that are worth noting:

1) Ability to activate an evaluation without having to reinstall production bits.  I realize this is not as applicable to you right now, but this has been a big request for some time.

2) Ability to use temp keys with an evaluation version.   If you evaluate new modules like IPAM that have rolled out new licensing, you no longer have to get the production bits and install over your evaluation version to extend your evaluation.

3) Ability to roll-out new tools and major releases without requiring license activation.  This means more new cools for you without having to go through the activation process each time.

As noted above, we're definitely going to continue to improve this process flow with each iteration so it's critical that we get feedback.   We really appreciate your patience.

Having said that, you'll be happy to know that you won't need to go through this activation exercise for quite a while.

rsprim

Chris,

Thanks for the response.  Will the new licensing system be incorporated into the Orion product line and modules with the next release of Orion?  I presume that is where your heading, just curious.  I definately like the idea of prepending the computer name on the license file names and I would suggest adding what the license is for on the file names (i.e. COMPUTER-NAME Toolset v10 License.lic or COMPUTER-NAME Orion License.lic).

I also like the idea of allowing us to bulk generate licenses as well.  That will save a lot of time on the back end.  On the front end though, it would be fantastic if we could run a program where we could select the application or applications we intend to load on a machine and have it export a text file with the computer name for each application.  If your bulk license generator could read this file too and generate the license files even better!  This would allow us to gather the information before running the setup program so we can register and download all the license keys prior to the install which will  save so much time.  I'm not a big fan of running setup and then having to spend 10-15 minutes licensing and burning a CD with my server down.  I'd rather be able to do everything in the background so when I run setup I can immediately license the software and finish the installation.  We plan to roll out multiple site upgrades which will require multiple installations.  It would be great if we could do all the licensing work up front so we can just focus on installing the programs and loading the .lic files.

I presume that if I name two computers the same name, the generated key would be different.  What computer information do you take into account for generating the 64 character computer name?

One thing you didn't mention which would be helpful is providing one production version of the software that can be used for any license level.  Using Orion as an example, we have to download an SL100, SL500, SL1000, SL2000 or SLX version depending on our license limit.  Why can't you just provide us one download and let the licensing software control the licensing limits based on the .lic key?

Having only 1 download per program would certainly make things less confusing and probably help your web team out on the back side as well so they don't have to ensure each customer has the right license limit download in their portal.

Robert

chris.lapoint

Thanks for the response.  Will the new licensing system be incorporated into the Orion product line and modules with the next release of Orion?  I presume that is where your heading, just curious.  I definately like the idea of prepending the computer name on the license file names and I would suggest adding what the license is for on the file names (i.e. COMPUTER-NAME Toolset v10 License.lic or COMPUTER-NAME Orion License.lic).

Yes, that's definitely where we're heading.   I like the idea of being able to prepend BOTH the computer name and the product name to the license file, especially as more products integrate the new licensing.

I also like the idea of allowing us to bulk generate licenses as well.  That will save a lot of time on the back end.  On the front end though, it would be fantastic if we could run a program where we could select the application or applications we intend to load on a machine and have it export a text file with the computer name for each application.  If your bulk license generator could read this file too and generate the license files even better!  This would allow us to gather the information before running the setup program so we can register and download all the license keys prior to the install which will  save so much time.  I'm not a big fan of running setup and then having to spend 10-15 minutes licensing and burning a CD with my server down.  I'd rather be able to do everything in the background so when I run setup I can immediately license the software and finish the installation.  We plan to roll out multiple site upgrades which will require multiple installations.  It would be great if we could do all the licensing work up front so we can just focus on installing the programs and loading the .lic files.

I hear where you're coming from, but the unique machine ID must be generated from the machine where you plan to install the software.  This is how we node lock the software to that specific machine.   This is why a particular license file can only be installed on the machine where the corresponding unique machine ID was generated.

I presume that if I name two computers the same name, the generated key would be different.  What computer information do you take into account for generating the 64 character computer name?

That's correct.   I can't disclose what computer information we take into account, but computer name is not one of them.

One thing you didn't mention which would be helpful is providing one production version of the software that can be used for any license level.  Using Orion as an example, we have to download an SL100, SL500, SL1000, SL2000 or SLX version depending on our license limit.  Why can't you just provide us one download and let the licensing software control the licensing limits based on the .lic key?

This is awesome, now I've got you selling the new licensing system ;-)  And your exactly right, when Orion moves to the new licensing system there will be one production build and the license limit will be completely controlled by licensing.   This also will mean that if you upgrade your license count to a higher version, you simply need to install the key to enable your higher count (versus having to download that license count version and install of your existing version).

Having only 1 download per program would certainly make things less confusing and probably help your web team out on the back side as well so they don't have to ensure each customer has the right license limit download in their portal.

Absolutely.