2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 12:20 PM by mtxpert

Importing subnet ranges instead of IP addresses

mtxpert

IPAM would have much greater functionality if it could do either of the following (1 being preferred):

1. Use the IP addresses and subnets discovered within NPM of our Cisco equipment to import automatically the various subnets from the network.

2. If using an import function allow us to import an IP address and subnet mask and vlan description from a spreadsheet or CSV file and skip the part where it has to be added to a subnet manually.

BTW NPM and IPAM should look at Netdisco an open source tool for some functionality in that way it works including mac and arp table sucking along with network discovery via CDP neighbor tables. I love Orion but if it had the functionality of Netdisco it would be UNBELIEVABLE.

• Re: Importing subnet ranges instead of IP addresses
          bshopp

All great ideas and I have captured them into our system.  I am also the NPM PM, so I have captured that from an NPM stand point as well.  #2 we already have some ideas and thoughts on how to make this much easier.  I may contact you offline to get some additional feedback on that.

• Re: Importing subnet ranges instead of IP addresses
              mtxpert

Please contact me if you want some input.

I just spent an hour moving things around and adding subnets after importing 44 IP addresses (44 VLANs)

Ideally I should have been able to create a spreadsheet with the following columns and import it in one step:

VLAN_Name, VLAN_Number, IP_Network_Address, IP_Subnet_Mask, Description, Group, Supernet, Auto_Discover(y/n)

This would have imported the vlan's, put then in the appropriate group then in the right supernet and told it to auto discover or not.

However for auto discovery this process would be great:

1. Pull the IP and subnet for every VLAN on the device

2. Pull the mac address table and arp table

3. Assign mac/IP addresses/DNS name to ports

4. Use CDP neighbor table and snmp communities to discover the next device then repeat 1 through 3 until you run out of devices.

When you get done you would have a port mapping for every node/device on your network and what port it's on. You could search by IP/DNS name and find the device and the query would also show you the switch port and switch name. Clicking onthe switch name or port would take you to that device in NPM.