10 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 1:57 AM by Ciag

Find mib/oid for active B channels summary

Ciag

Hi all,

anyone got any idea what mib/oid I need to poll to find out either active or in active b channels on serial interfaces on a cisco box?

An example command we would use to get this info would be

Sh voice call status | inactive 

Have tried numerous Mibs but I can never get one that presents the results in a clean or manageable output.

Cheers

• Re: Find mib/oid for active B channels summary
          Yann

Hi,

Have you tried to monitor the ISDN Bearer Entry table defined in the ISDN MIB?

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/0/ISDN-MIB.html

Does it return results if you walk it?

Ciag

Hi Yann,

yeah I have I used the isdnBearerOperStatus 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.20.1.2.1.1.2 from within the

ISDN Bearer Entry table. it seems to display the states of the individual channels but it presents them in a pretty big table and from what I can see I cannot summarise the table data. i.e

23 active 10 inactive etc. Plus the main focus of this exercise for us is to be able to graph the reuslts, which I cannot do until the info is summarised.

I have already submitted a feature request somewhere in the past for the ability to summarise and manipulate table data in the tranform tool.

During the MIB walk nothing else of use caught my eye I did try a few of OID's but the closest reult I've have so far has been from the isdnBearerOperStatus 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.20.1.2.1.1.2

It's a toughy :- )

Yann

Graphing the results of a table will not be possible for now as you guessed.

However we might be able to create a report that shows last hour/day/week results with a different summarization minute/15min/hour for e.g. active calls.

First, setup a UnDP that polls the isdnBearerOperStatus with historical stats enabled.

Then Create a report such as the one attached. Please modify the name of the Poller Name in the Filter Results tab.

The report will need modifications depending how your UnDP has collected data.

Once the report is properly setup, you can add it to the web console using the "Report From Orion Report Writer" resource.

HTH,

Yann

Ciag

Hi Yann,

thanks for your suggestion. I am already using the report writer to present the info to our IPT managers but only until something better is found. It's not ideal really when compared with a graph.

I am aware I am being quite picky about this but it is because I have been chasing this little task on and off for a few months, exploring many methods of displaying the info and many different Undp's. 

We put together a solution that accounts for active DS0's.  This works well if you have 1 PRI or a multiple PRI's in a trunk group.  If you have 2 seperate trunk groups on the same node, let me know and I'll look for another MIB.

From the Universal Device Poller, add the following new poller:  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.4; Click Next

MIB value type is "rate"; Unit is "0"; Time Frame is "none"; SNMP Get Type is "get next"; polling type is "node"; select "keep historical data"; Click Finish

We used the following Web Display settings:  Node details page view; chart and gauge

I'm uploading a screen shot so you can see if this will work.

Ciag

Hi ken,

yep we tried the active DS0's oid a while ago :- )  The output of the results were definitely much clearer than the ISDNbearer status oid but if I remember correctly the results  only displayed a very small number of channels compared with the ISDNbearer status oid. I pressume this is because we have multiple PRI's in a trunk group.

Thank you for your replies ken.

Cheers

Hi,

I've added the 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.20.1.2.1.1.2 MIB for our Voice gateways and each router has one PRI.  When I view the device details it gives me the option to display Rows 48 - 119 and a very hectic graph that doesn't make much sense.  How do you read the graph?  Has anyone found a way to view and/or report the maximum number of calls per hour?  We are trying to find the maximum number of calls reached per PRI to see if we need to order additional circuits. 

Does anyone have an example report I can use?

If we have 2 PRI's per router does it differ in the report? 

Thanks!

Ciag

If I remeber correctly that OID is table based. At the moment Orion NPM doesn't always successfully graph or label table data I have submitted it as a feature request which I'm sure would have more success if more people were to ask for it also.

We have Orion NCM (Cirrus) which I am now using to send out a command script repeatedly to the devices to get the info and then having the results emailed to me. It's a bit of a cop-out but for now it looks like the best we can do it.

cheers

david-schroeder

We do have two different trunk groups on the same node.  Do you know of a mib for that?  I've not found one.  You can see active calls for the entire node but not for a subset of pri's.  Thanks in advance.

Ciag

Hi David,

is this what you're looking for?

cpmDS1ActiveDS0s

The number of DS0s that are currently in use for a
                                 particular DS1.

We're currently using this for the Voice gateways in our IPT environment to track DS0 usage. It will present you with a single graph containing the DS0 activity for the gateway. The only issue is you cannot label the indvidual DS0 names in the graph. If labels are important to you as I suspect they probably are, you could find out the individual DS0's OID (using the MIB viewer in the engineers toolkit) and poll each one as a 'rate' poller. This would give you the option of having a single graph for every DS0 on a device, also giving you the ability to name each graph/DS0.

fyi when polling the above OID I think the default labels NPM uses for the DS0's are the OID address extensions that you need to poll the DS0's individually, But I haven't verified that for sure. This would save you using the engineers toolkit if it were the case.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions about this post.

Regards