This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrading Orion NPM from version 8.5.0 to version 9.1

Originally, I have Solarwinds NPM version 8.1.7 running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2.  I also have Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 4 running on the same machine.

I ugraded to Solarwind NPM version 8.5.0 and everything is still working fine.  During the upgrade, it told me that the license key is already installed.  So everything is still good.  By the way, I have SLX license

Now I would like to upgrade from current version 8.5.0 to version 9.1 so I have the following questions:

a- When I upgrade from version 8.5.0 to version 9.1, will I have to upgrade the license as well?

b- I downloaded SolarWinds-Orion-v9-EVAL.zip from Solarwind website, can I just install this executable on top of my version 8.5.0 version.  Will that work and more importantly, will it override my current license key? Since the box is NOT connected to the Internet, it will be hard to get the key installed.

Many thanks.

• a - If you have active maintenance, you should already have a V9 license available... I recommend 8.5.1 SP3 before doing the upgrade to v9.1 (latest SP5)

b - I do not recommend installing an eval version on top of a licensed product.  There are countless threads on this forum detailing the upgrade successess from 8.5 to 9.1 - I believe you will be very happy with the enhancements...  If you experience any issues, please don't hesitate to contact Support.

Hope this helps,

David

• addendum to b - re: "box is NOT connected to the Internet" - You can manually register the key online.. If you have difficulty, please give us a call.

• We actually recommend that you upgrade to 8.5.1 first, and then you can go directly to 9.1 SP5.

You will need to upgrade the license. Check your customer portal first for licensing information, and if needed, contact Customer Service. You should also be able to download 9.1 SP5 from the customer portal. CS can help you with getting the license to the right box.