12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 7:18 PM by Wardini

?? Backing up Cisco CUE ??

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and Cattools. So here's my question, I can get Cattools to login to my Cisco Voice router and back the IOS, but I can't figure out how to create another job to login to CUE and do a backup.

Any help would be great..

Thanks ahead of time for helpping me out on this...

• Re: ?? Backing up Cisco CUE ??
          Wardini

Hi,

You should be able to issue the session command from your Router to connect to the CUE using the 'Connecting via a session' functionality in CatTools.
          The following on-line help page should help you with setting up the devices in CatTools:
          http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/dev_connectingviaasession.htm

Please note that the session functionality is not supported in all the main device scripts, so the success of this will depend on the script you use to initially connect to your device. (This is documented in the link above.)

Regards,

Wardinihttp://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/index.html

Thanks,

That helped me to backu CUE.

Know does anyone know how to kick off a backup of the CUE module and then have it come backup after its done

Wardini

Hi,

Can you give me a bit more detail on your issue please? Are you taking the device 'offline' then using the continue command to bring it back online?

I have had a customer in the past who was using the Device.CLI.Modify Config activity with the following list of command;

enable

write memory

backup category all

continue

What he found was that sometimes some of the devices would not come back on line after the continue command was issued. There was no obvious cause for this. I ended up writing a small external script which he ran as the last command in the the activity. The script would check to see if the device was still offline and if so would try bring it back online again and recheck.

Kind regards,

Wardini

OK,

Here's a bit of info first:

I have a Cisco UC500 VoIP System which useing the "service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session" command to get into the CUE module.

So with your help before I was able to configure a new Activity (Device.Backup.Running Config) to back up my CUE, by creating a new Device (Cisco.Other.CUE) to point to use my Cisco Device first. That worked great, and thanks for that.

Now I want to kick of a backup command in my CUE to make a backup of my voicemails and AA, and this is what I have and the error I get.

I created a new Activity (Type: Device.CLI.Send commands) that point to my Cisco IOS VoIP router. Then it sends these commands.

service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session)
                      (username)
                      (Password)

en

y
                      backup category all
                      continue

Here's the Error I get: Cisco Router 1 Did not receive expected response to service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session command

Wardini

Hi,

If I am following you correctly then the Device.CLI.Send Commands activity should be set to run against the CUE device in a similar way to which you set up the backup activity to do. This should then handle the login and session and so your commands for the activity would  be.

en

y
                          backup category all
                          continue

So in effect when the activity runs CatTools will see that it is running against the CUE module and it also see that to connect to the CUE module it has to do this via the session functionality connecting to the Cisco UC500 VoIP first.

The problem with trying to include the session command in the Device.CLI.Send Commands activity is that this causes the device prompt/hostname to change and so the script no longer recognises this as a valid response.

So in conclusion, run the activity against the CUE not the VOIP Router and remove the below commands from your list of commands;

service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session)
                          (username)
                          (Password)

Please let me know how you get on.

kind regards,

Wardini

OK,

I think I'm getting closer, here is what I get now.

Aborting command entry due to command error. Error with Syntax: y or yes

I configured like you said that my Activity job "Device.CLI.SendCommands" be sent to the CUE.backup" which seems to be getting my a bit further.

When I log into my CUE module I find that it is offline, strange. So part of the commands are working it just doesn't know what to do with the "Y or the Yes" command.

Any idea's

Wardini

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that when you run the activity you don't know whether the CUE will be offline or not? (Because presumably if you knew it was going to be offline you could just omit the offline and y command from your list of commands)

On the options tab for the activity you could tick the box which says 'Answer [Yes] to any confirmation prompts'. This would allow you to then omit  the 'y' from the list of commands because CatTools should detect that this is a prompt requiring a yes no response and send yes automatically. If the device is already offline then the 'yes/no' prompt won't appear and so CatTools should just progress to the next command.

Please let me know how you get on. I do have an external script which can be run from the Device.CLI.Send commands activity and checks the 'offline' status of the CUE which may be an alternative way of doing things if the above doesn't work. I will try and get this onto the thwack content exchange later today as you may find it useful anyway.

Kind regards,

Wardini