34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 12:59 PM by gblessing

Impression after 5 minutes

This is what we've needed for years.  Thank you.

Feature request:  A consultant from SolarWinds to come out and import the sheets and sheets and sheets of IPAs we have.

• Re: Impression after 5 minutes

Yikes.  I just called and had the licensing explained to me. I had to hear it in verbally and from two people at SW so much was my desire for it not to be true. 

If you want to document your subnets with IPAM, you will need a license to cover all the addresses in all the subnets whether you use them (the addresses) or not.  That may be obvious to some and perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part for it to be otherwise.

A small to medium business may have far, far fewer hosts than allocated address space. For example, sites with 30 hosts and a /24 assigned, or 250 hosts and a /23. Add up all the sites with under utilized address space and instead of a 1024 IPA license you need the IPX.

A great tool but we may lose the opportunity to own it.

ljenkins

I know the feeling.  One of the fools... I mean engineers previous to me used /16's for some of our networks... Networks with 50ish computers. 

The price on the IPX is frankly a bit insane for someone with about 1500-2000 nodes on the network.

jp

There is no literature on the licensing on solarwinds.com - What are the licensing points?

ljenkins

The only two I remember off the top of my head were

IP4k (4096 addresses) = ~$4000

IPX (Unlimited) = ~15k...

jp

I have over 15,000 IPs...

$1/IP? Realy?!

15k is 2x too much for a simple icmp ping tool.

ljenkins

Now you see what I'm saying... because of our dumb IP scheme, I'd be forced to the IPX which is $10/node on my network.

My boss'd laugh at me.

bshopp

Hey all, I just wanted to take a second and respond and make sure there is no confusion in the communication.

So in ljenkins case, he said he has some /16 subnets with only 50ish computers on that subnet.  If he adds a /16 subnet to IPAM and only cares about those 50ish IP Addresses, he only has to add those 50ish IP Addresses to the system.  Just because he adds the /16 to the system, he doesn't have to manage the entire subnet.  He can remove the IP's he does not care about scanning.

Please let me know if that makes sense and clears up any confusion.

ljenkins

I'm confused how to do so...  I'm limited in defining segments to a power of 2...

So if a network has 50 hosts, the least I can define it as is 64.  If the hosts are not positioned nicely, 128 or 256.

I've got 1200ish of my hosts detected on the eval and it's showing my license usage at 5888.  Maybe I can clean it up a bit, but I'm not going to get in under 4000 by the time I add the rest of my segments.

It really just seems it'd be more natural to license besed on used addresses instead of total addresses in the scopes.

bshopp

If you are within a subnet and viewing the IP's currently defined within that subnet, on the top toolbar, there is a button labeled IP Range.  If you select that button in the drop down is add or delete.  So if you were to checkbox the IP's within that /16 you do not care about scanning and managing and select delete, those will be removed from the system and will be reflected within your license count

ljenkins

Ok, thanks.  I had not discovered that.

But of course, now comes the rub... By eliminating those addresses, they are still valid on my network.  Something could be there and I'll not know it.  I guess I like the idea of something scanning these big empty swathes of addresses and telling me that they're as empty as I think they are.

But I suppose there's other applications out there I can get to do that.  If I get it through my head that this is just IP management, we'll be fine.

Thanks for the assist.

bshopp

No worries, thank you for the feedback.

jp

The tool should work as a discovery model, what use is an IP Address management software package if we have to put what IPs we want to monitor onto it in the first place?

What DHCP ips are leased?  What server IPs are available?

It's a bit crippled by the intense licensing requirements, severely decreasing its worth.

License based on 'responding' nodes and you'll probably sell this software.

smartd

I've look at other IPAM products...  Your unlimited license, which is what we would need due to use of /24 and /16 subnets, gets us in the ballpark of products which manage DNS and DHCP. 

What I want in an IPAM is something that can model our current supernets, location subnets, and VLAN CIDRs.  Also reserve DHCP scope areas.  Would be nice to import DHCP scopes from Microsoft.  Would also be nice to be a slave DNS server so registered IP and Hostnames are maintained.

A price of $4000 for unlimited might be in the ballpark of what we could swallow.

-=Dan=-

euphorik

ljenkins

10-4 here as well. I had the cheque book out when I saw the announcement and put it back in my pocket when I saw the pricing structure. Sorry guys. This is a cool tool, but 11k to replace something I can manage with a spreadsheet isn't going to happen.  

Removing swaths of valid addresses that are unused to me doesn't sound like something I should need to do to remain within my licensing.

Brandon,

No confusion on my part.  Having to add/remove many ranges within many managed subnets diminishes the product.

The pinging part of the application is handy; but we'd be happy to have just a web accessible DB of IP addresses that bolts into our Orion site to replace our spreadsheets.

Perhaps in future releases there could be a license for a manually maintained IPA list and make the ping monitoring a per node purchase.

This is more like a 30 minute first Impression.

Overall the product is very good.

It is much easier to use than IPPlan but the licensing is crippling. Our private networks have a 5%-10% ip allocation rate. This is because of network layer separation requirements and many /24 networks for ease of administration. This makes the cost of this application very high.

I may be doing something wrong but selecting "Scan This Subnet Now" puts the subnet at the end of the scan queue. That is not "Now".

A licensing model based on IP addresses that are, reserved, discovered or manually assigned would be much more appealing than all possible addresses in the network.

bshopp

jkgraham, good feedback.  If you do not want to scan the whole subnet, you can delete out the addresses you are not concerned about and they will not be scanned and will not count on the license.  See above in thread on that more.

Do you have other scans currently running on the system?  If you have other scans going and hit scan now, it will place it next in the queue

There are about 40 networks in the queue. Some of them will stay scanning for hundreeds of minutes. Does this indicate a comm problem?

bshopp

Seems like something might be off.  Can you cancel the running jobs and submit the job again?

BakerD

I too would like to voice my concern on the pricing.  Way back, a long long time ago there was a thread about adding a tab to NPM to open IP Address management that showed the exported html version from the EE toolset.  I posted about what I was able to get one of my programers to build our own web interface to the EE toolset IP add mgmt database.  I posted a picture etc.  Later on SWs contacted me and had a conference call with a few of their programmers and I.  I showed them our web interface and all that it could do.  I feel I spent a good amount of time on the phone and with emails giving input etc.  One of the last things they asked me was how much would I spend on something like this.  I said about the same was the other add-ons (app mon & wireless) which I think was just under $2k then.  Now all of a sudden I have gotten two emails trying to sell me IPAM at an outrageous price. 

For simplicity each of our offices has several class C subents.  IE; one might be 10.20.0.0 and whith in that 10.20.3.0 would be network equipment, 10.20.4.0 for VOIP, 10.20.6.0 guests, 10.20.7.0 servers, 10.20.8.0 PCs and so on.  We do this with vlans.  We might only actually use as little as 5 IPs in a network, but it is a lot easier to manage than trying to divide one class C into many groups.  So we would need the unlimited package.  There is no way even in a good economy my company would give the ok for that. 

If SW wants to put IPAM out there and have that kind of pricing, then maybe they could slim it down on enabled features for a lower cost.  Really all we need is a web front end that allows us to list all our networks and arrange in groups or per office etc.  Then have them automatically pinged at different intervals.  Some networks we scan every hour, some once a week.  Some we just want listed and not scanned like a DMZ or networks that are live but not scanable.  Basically we want a web front end to IP address management from the EE toolset.  It does all we need.  The export to html doesn't work because we need to manage from the web and have search functions.

I think everyone agrees that IPMAN looks great and does what it is meant to  do.  I dont think anyone would feel the license / price structure is fair.

Also be sure to see the above thread regarding the bad practice of "omitting" IP addresses.  The IP is still active and could be attached to a host, and you would never know because of the wacky pricing / licensing structure of this simple ICMP scan software.

We have several mgmt vlans with 255.255.0.0 masks.  knowing that I can omitted large groups of IPs from being managed is great, but that doesnt help me manage them.  It just cuts costs.

Anyone who has a network with a 255.255.0.0 mask is SOL. 

65000 hosts, have fun paying 14K USD.

I would also like to agree that the licensing is crippling for people with low % of used addresses over many subnets/vlans.

I would also like to point out that bshopp's point:

If you do not want to scan the whole subnet, you can delete out the addresses you are not concerned about and they will not be scanned and will not count on the license.  

is absolutely not true.  I have tried this on a /24 subnet which only has 59 addresses in use, and the license status still shows 256 out of 4096.   

bshopp

Let me contact you offline to see what you are seeing.  If you remove/delete them from the subnet, they should not count against your license count.

Peter.Cooper

If you do not want to scan the whole subnet, you can delete out the addresses you are not concerned about and they will not be scanned and will not count on the license.  

is absolutely not true.  I have tried this on a /24 subnet which only has 59 addresses in use, and the license status still shows 256 out of 4096.

Hi Geo.

The number at the bottom right of your page may not be updating after IP addresses are removed. Refreshing the page (or open a new window) will show the correct count. You do have the ability to have a subnet take 0 or more licenses.

Here's my 2c, we manage the network addressing for the company. We have hundreds of subnets (dealerships, manufacturing, marketing, engineering, etc), we only care to see if that network has been assigned or not. We leave all the host IP's to the local IT guy. I'm still not convinced on how IPAM can help us out, since I haven't been able to mark a subnet as available, is there something like a custom field that I can use?

KCWayner

Here is the link for their pricing.  http://www.solarwinds.com/campaigns/IPAM/

Special Offer: Save Big Through 4/27/09!

Early Adopter Pricing Is Shown Below, Which Represents 25% Off List Prices
                                                                  LicenseManaged IPsUSDEuroGBP
                                                                  Orion IPAM IP10001024$1,496€1,219£833
                                                                  Orion IPAM IP40004096$2,996€2,441£1,665
                                                                  Orion IPAM IP1600016384$6,746€5,498£3,746
                                                                  Orion IPAM IPXUnlimited$11,246€9,165£6,248

Add me to the list of people upset with the pricing / licensing structure.

We will be passing on this, just as we did with Netflow. 

I believe it is outrageous to price over 1000 USD for unlimited IP management.

This product sends ICMP scans!!!  14K USD?!?!  Yeah right.

Not many will be buying this with its current structure.

Are times really that tight at SW?

Instead of the absurd 14K, if SW just sold that unlimited package for 1000 USD, I believe Everyone would purchase.

At 14k, I doubt many will.