2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 8:24 PM by HemiTruck

Cisco interface status says "unknown" how do i fix this

I deleted a switch on orion and re-added it. Now all the ports on the switch are in an unknown status. How do I fix this? I am new to solar winds(orion).

• Re: Cisco interface status says "unknown" how do i fix this
          lchance

I feel your pain - this gets me all the time with interfaces going into a UNKNOWN status. It mostly is the result of someone messing with SNMP.

It has been my experience that one of these two things can fix this.

First thing I'd try is use Orion System Manager, navigate to the switch then with it selected, right click it and select REFRESH NODE and then use LIST RESOURCES and make your selections for monitoring. I've had these steps bring them back to normal.

Secondly, If that doesn't work for you then select those interfaces (with the blue question-icon) one at a time, right click them and select DELETE INTERFACE, then select LIST RESOURCES and make your selections for monitoring and use REFRESH NODE. A timely process I know, but I don't know a short-cut. Maybe someone else knows one.

I hope this helps.

• Re: Cisco interface status says "unknown" how do i fix this
            HemiTruck

if you deleted it and then added it back real quick then the issue could be an issue i have seen with pollers still polling after the delete was issued.  I have had interfaces re-added after i deleted them due to this.  Best bet is to delete the interfaces and wait a bit to see if they actually stay gone, then do as guy above stated and just list resources then add the new ones.