This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Poller for Volume Utilization in Windows Server 2003 / HP Proliant

Hello all,

I'd like to transform (sum) the capacity of a number of Logical Drives and remaining space with NPM.

We have a multi-terabyte Windows storage system broken up into several volumes. Sometimes I am asked, "How much space do we have left?", or, "How fast are we filling up the archive?" 

I can manually add this stuff up, but I would rather create a view for our application administrator that shows her drive utilization individually (exists out of the box) and seperately the sum of all the space and what is left for use. Orion knows about the volume utilization -- but I can't transform those canned values apparently.  So, I set out to create a custom poller to get the same data, but cannot find any MIB/OID information to guide me. As someone who uses SNMP extensively, but takes the inner-workings somewhat for granted, I wonder if I am not Googling in the right direction.

Input appreciated!

Andrew

• Hi,

A solution would be to display in a view two reports. The first one could display the details of each volume and the second one the combined statistics of multiple volumes.

Start > All Programs > Solarwinds Orion > Alerting, Reporting and Mapping > Report Writer.

File > New. Select "Historical - Volume Usage (Disk Space)"

In the Select Fields tab,

add the "Volume Space Available" field and select the SUM function.

Then you have multiple solution to better report per group of volumes the results. One could add e.g. the Volume Type field or a Node/Volume Custom Property or both. Using the Filter Results tab can as well help to filter out/in nodes. It is possible to group category in the Report Grouping tab.

Once you are satistified of your report(s), go to the webconsole.

In Admin > Manage Views, create a new view if required.

Add the "Report From Orion Report Writer" resource to your view. It is under the "Report Writer - Turn a Report from Report Writer into a Web Resource" section.

Doing this will avoid polling twice your devices for the same information.

HTH,

Yann

• That was just what I needed! I was making things much harder than they needed be.

Thank you very much. 

• I want to follow up and say how much we love NPM.  It is a great application.

• Apparently, my query will not SUM space available if the values are mixed GB and TB. For example, VOLUME 1 = 36 GB available, VOLUME 2 = 89 GB available, VOLUME 3 = 4.6 TB available.  I get results with function None but nothing with function SUM.

Is there a way around this that you know of?

Your suggestion is very valuable even with this limitation because it is working for all of our systems but one.

• Could you post the SQL Query run by the Report? This will give more information about what it try to do.

Open the Report in Report Writer.

Click on Report > Show SQL. Select the SQL Tab.

Thanks.

• SELECT  TOP 10000 SUM((NullIf(VolumeSize,-2)-NullIf(VolumeSpaceUsed,-2))) AS SUM_of_VolumeSpaceAvailable

FROM
    Nodes INNER JOIN Volumes ON (Nodes.NodeID = Volumes.NodeID)

WHERE 
    (
      (Nodes.Caption = 'PACS-LTA-NAS')
    )

• I am not sure why it is not working. I would advise you to open a support ticket to have a support representative work with you on this report. This will allow to have a better overview of the volume statistics entries.