4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 11:31 AM by pierrenorman

Possible to monitor by hostname instead of IP?

sotherls

Question is we have a virtual server and when I added it to Orion it grabs the current IP address and monitors by that IP address. If the Virtual rolls to another server and the IP changes is it possible for Orion to start monitoring by that IP? Ideally it would be nice if it would monitor by hostname or IP and not just IP for just this reason.

Thoughts or comments appreciated.

• Re: Possible to monitor by hostname instead of IP?
          lchance

a couple of questions.

are you using V-Motion? and have you tried using the DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS feature where you enable for something like DHCP for this? go to System Manager, Node, Node Details.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Possible to monitor by hostname instead of IP?

I use dynamic DNS to access our remote networks around the country (roughly 100 remote sites). I typically only need to monitor one critical resource, the server. I use dyndns to update our public IP and I'm able to add a node based on hostname.

Then problem is that once added, Orion wants to store the IP address. Why?? Orion should always use the hostname. In this day and age where DNS is becoming more important (just ask anyone who's gone through a VMWare migration about the importance of proper DNS configuration) why would Orion store an IP address??

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? If you edit a node, replace the IP with the hostname and select the dynamic IP option , you get an error that suggest you enter a valid IP. WHY?????

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful