This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IP Monitor wildcard certificate

My company has recently purchased a wildcard certificate for all our sites, however IP Monitor doesn't seem to like it.  When selected IP Monitor restarts and doesn't throw any errors, however no requests to the SSL side work.  It looks like IP Monitor is dropping the connection as soon as it's made.  Anyone have any clues on how to fix this?  Otherwise does anyone know how to setup the MultiStatusView application to allow connections to an IP Monitor instance using a self signed certificate?

I'm having occasional issues with the force test button.  Occasionally when I click it the monitor goes to an unitialized state and never leaves this state (I've waited days before).  Eventually I have to recreate the monitor loosing the historic data.  Anyone know if there's a fix for this?

• Richard,

ipMonitor supports four different ways to acquire an SSL certificate. Certificates are installed in the Local Machine Store of the ipMonitor host machine and can be selected using the ipMonitor Configuration Program.

Self-Signed Certificates
    During the initial installation, if a certificate has not been selected, ipMonitor will prompt to automatically generate a "self-signed" certificate. Should you choose this option, you can change this selection at any time using the ipMonitor Configuration program.

The main advantage of self-signed certificates is that there is no cost involved. However, because a self-signed certificate is generated and installed by ipMonitor, there is no Trusted Authority involved in issuing and verifying the certificate. As a result, you will have to instruct your web browser to trust the self-signed certificate that ipMonitor installs.

Refer to the section titled Self-Signed Certificates for more information.

Trusted Certificate Authority
    ipMonitor provides the tools required to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and install a certificate once it has been acquired from a trusted Certificate Authority.

Although this is not a complete list, certificates issued by VeriSignRegistered, FreeSSLTm or InstantSSLTm have been tested and all work equally as well. Prices vary from under a hundred dollars to a few hundred dollars depending on the organization.

Refer to the section titled Trusted Certificate Authority for more information.

WindowsRegistered 2000 and WindowsRegistered 2003 Certificate Services
    A Certificate can be requested from a Stand-Alone Certificate Authority using the MicrosoftRegistered WindowsRegistered 2000 or WindowsRegistered 2003 Certificate Services web interface.

On networks that use a Stand-Alone Certificate Authority server, certificate requests must be made using the web interface provided by the Certificate Authority server. Certificate requests may have to be approved prior to being issued. Policy information may be obtained from the Network Administrator of your organization.

Refer to the section titled Microsoft Certificate Authority for more information.

Microsoft Management Console 'Certificates' snap-in
    A Certificate can be requested from an enterprise certification authority using the Microsoft Management Console "Certificates" snap-in (dependant upon Active Directory).

Certificate requests may be generated from the ipMonitor machine using the MMC if a Certificate Authority server is found in Active Directory. Certificate requests may have to be approved prior to being issued. Policy information may be obtained from the Network Administrator of your organization.

Refer to the section titled Microsoft Certificate Authority for more information.

Note:

• Certificate types must be Server certificates.
    • Certificates must be installed to the Local Machine Store.
  • The wildcard cert I'm trying to get working is from a "Trusted Certificate Authority" and is installed in certificate manager.  It does show up in IP Monitor as a SSL Certificate but it doesn't work.  It looks as if IP Monitor doesn't like it.  I can tell you that the CSR wasn't generated from IP Monitor (it's a generic cert that we're using on many of our sites).  Can IP Monitor use a wild card certitifcate (*.company.com), is this a bug?

Perhaps it's the certificate authority.  It was purchased from http://www.tumbleweed.com/, do I need to add the certificate authority to IP Monitor, I've already added it in certificate manager.

• Hi,

I recently had the same issue with a customer. ipMonitor will not work with wildcard certificates.

You will have to use a certificate without any wildcards.

For internal guys: Feature Request #2587

HTH,

Yann

• We'd like to use a wildcard SSL certificate purchased from a CA with our ipMonitor. Is this still known not to work?

• I believe that there is a feature request for this cert issue.