This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question on CatTools' auto notification feature on configuration change

Hi,

The description of the CatTools program says "Free Kiwi CatTools can notify you of configuration changes via email and generate basic reports."

What does this mean exactly?

Is this for configuration change made by CatTools' activity script only?

Can CatTool detect a configuration change performed by another user immediately (w/o constantly running the configuration compare activity)?  

Basically, I want to get notified when someone makes a change to the configuration in real-time(and if possible log the user that did it).

I know something similar to this can be achieved with Kiwi Syslog but just wondering if Cattools is capable of doing this also.

Nonetheless, CatTools is an awesome program:)

My favorite is the configuration comparison feature, reminds me of my coding days~

Thanks,

Tony

• The description of the CatTools program says "Free Kiwi CatTools can notify you of configuration changes via email and generate basic reports."

What does this mean exactly?

Is this for configuration change made by CatTools' activity script only?

This is based on the ability to download a configuration and generate a comparison report against previously downloaded configs.

Can CatTool detect a configuration change performed by another user immediately (w/o constantly running the configuration compare activity)?  

No.

Basically, I want to get notified when someone makes a change to the configuration in real-time(and if possible log the user that did it).

I know something similar to this can be achieved with Kiwi Syslog but just wondering if Cattools is capable of doing this also.

Yes, you'd actually need a Syslog or Trap notification that changed and for this to trigger CatTools to download the configuration and do a comparison to tell you what's changed.  This isn't possible today, but it's on our roadmap.

If this is something you need to today, you may have started to outgrow Kiwi as your primary config management platform.  You might want to consider using our Orion NCM product for realtime change detection and web-based reporting (perhaps keeping Kiwi around on your desktop for scripting changes).

My favorite is the configuration comparison feature, reminds me of my coding days~

Ahh...coding days.  It's been so long, I think I'd be lucky if I could code "hello world" anymore ;-)

• hi skyrix,

this is something that we were able to accomplish through a different solution. we found a product from Dorian Software Creations called Event Alarm but we had to test it first

IF the change of a device configuration generates a syslog event

AND

IF that device has been instructed via its config file (e.g. syslog.conf) to forward that type (or all types) of syslog messages to the Event Alarm product,

THEN

Event Alarm could generate a notification and send it as a result of that change message