7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 2:39 PM by Congo

Map Maker and VARIABLES

lchance

i just recently learned only NODE variables work on maps and nothing more...

i'd like to see others like for VOLUME and INTERFACES (NICs also) included.

plus i'd especially like to use ${SQL: {query}} - this is a powerful part and has a great potential for things on Maps.

thanks.

• Re: Map Maker and VARIABLES

I would like to second that request!  I think the power of being able to input custom SQL would open alot of doors for users.  Great Idea!

borgan

Actually, you cdan use any node or interface variable listed in Appendix C of the Orion Admin Guide. There are several pages of node and interface alert variables tha tmay be inserted in the label field of a node or link label.

It is true that only node and interface variables can be used on a map at this point, but node, interface and volume variables can be used in alerts.

denny.lecompte

Volumes and more coming soon.

Congo

I would like to throw my support behind this as well. It appears the use of ${SQL:  is not in 9.5's Network Atlas. This would also open miles and miles of doors for us.

denny.lecompte

Can you explain how you want to use that variable on the maps?  What's the problem you're trying to solve with it?  Give us some idea of the miles of doors...

Congo

It would allow for values normally only gained from an advanced sql report, to be placed on a map. I am trying to provide different management personal a page view snap shot of (whatever).

For example. I have an interface label for ${InPercentUtil} and {Inbps} and would like to add a 30day recv peak also. I have this sql figured out and get that info from a report, which I have to place in a resource next to the map. I would rather combine and be able to place that value on a map. I want it on a map because I am able to manipulate and make a map look 'pretty'

So, I am attempting to consolidate is all.

The way I see if, you could either allow SQL (easy route) or you could expand the current variables (hard route)

Other examples are mainly results of reports, that are already grouped by custom properties. Inventory, historical traffic, volume usage, vmware statistics, UDnP, you get the idea.