This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring or determining the number of TCP sessions on a link

FormerMember
FormerMember

Is there a way to generate a report that will give me the number of TCP sessions for a given link? We are looking into WAN compression and all the devices seem to be sized based upon the nuber of TCP sessions. Most of the vendors seem to have a rule of thumb based upon the number of users on that link but we have been told that through Netflow I should be able to determin what is actually being used. Does anyone know if this is available within the information the Netflow collector is capturing? I am thinking this is different than the "unique visitor" graph ...

• I don't know of a way to get that specific info from Solarwinds NTA, but if you but a packet capture on the relevant interface you can use the statistics tools in Wireshark to tell you how many unique TCP flows are in the capture file. There is also a Unix/Linux CLI utility called tcpflow that will do the same thing.