2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 3:42 AM by Karlo.Zatylny

VMWare ESX reports

rgward

Am I going nuts?  We just upgraded from SP4 to SP5.  Did the VMWare reports change in SP5?  I swear one or more of the Availability/CPU/Memory reports provided the ip address of the virtual machine in SP4.  Ip address is no longer provided in any of the reports.  So, I modified one of the out-of-the-box historical VMWare ESX reports and added the IP Address from Select>Network Nodes.  IP Address is not listed as a field under Select Fields>Virtual Machines.  When using IP Address from Network Nodes the ip address reported is the ESX server address not the VM address.   Is this a bug?  Any ideas how to get the VM ip address?

http://thwack.com/NetPerfMon/Report.asp?Report=List_of_All_VMs_configured_for_each_ESX_Host_for_this_month&Printable=TRUE
        DisplayName IP Address GuestState OperatingSystem Asset_Scope 
      bwilabesx2.maa.ad.mdot.mdstate
        MAADAT 10.93.1.19 poweredOn Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit) OS 
        MAARoofPro 10.93.1.19 poweredOn Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit) OS 
      maabwiesx1.maa.ad.mdot.mdstate
        MAA911LPD 10.93.1.82 poweredOff Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit) OS 
        MAABWIFS1 10.93.1.82 poweredOn Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit) OS 
        MAABWIFS2 10.93.1.82 poweredOn Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit) OS 
        MAAIM1 10.93.1.82 poweredOn Microsoft Windows 2000 Server OS 
        MAAvHIP Clone 10.93.1.82 poweredOff Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit) OS 

• Re: VMWare ESX reports
          Karlo.Zatylny

Hi,

The reports did not change in SP5.  We do show the IP addresses in the ESX Server Details page by default if the VM is a node in Orion.  Otherwise, we do not pull the IP address from the ESX server, only the MAC.

To get the IP address, the VM needs to be a node in the Orion Nodes table and have the Interface in the Orion Interfaces table.  Then we search for the interface MAC address, find the corresponding node and display the IP address.  This is why it is not listed under Virtual MAchines in the Fields list.  You would need to be managing the VM in order for us to relyably show the IP address in both the UI and have it available in reports.

Please let me know if I can calrify any of these points.

Thanks