3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 6:29 PM by chris.lapoint

Adding a new Filter

I ran into a small problem when trying to add a new filter using firefox 3.0.8. The dialog box "Add Filter" comes up but it is blank.  It doesn't ask me for the filter name or type. It is trying to load  but it never completes.  It work fine on IE 7.0.5730.13. 

Now for questions:

1) Is it possible to add the existing "Displays" for the windows GUI to the Web filters. It would be nice not to have to maintain two separate sets. Also some of my displays are not built directly from filters but are the results of the actions taken. These would be difficult to replicate with filters on the web interface.

2) I do some special processing on the syslog messages that reformat them and/or adds content. Is it possible to display the reformatted version of the messages. 

3) Would it be possible to have a variable that is set to the current rule that is being processed? I would like to be able to include it in some messages/displays from the GUI or Web. It would make it easier to find/fix a problem/message if I know which rule it came from. Being able to add that to a display/filer would also be helpful.

4) This is unrelated to the beta, are there any plans to add HTML email capabilities to the GUI so I don't have to do it in a script?

Regards,

• Re: Adding a new Filter
          chris.lapoint

I ran into a small problem when trying to add a new filter using firefox 3.0.8. The dialog box "Add Filter" comes up but it is blank.  It doesn't ask me for the filter name or type. It is trying to load  but it never completes.  It work fine on IE 7.0.5730.13. 

Thanks for reporting this issue.  For internal folks, this is #694.

1) Is it possible to add the existing "Displays" for the windows GUI to the Web filters. It would be nice not to have to maintain two separate sets. Also some of my displays are not built directly from filters but are the results of the actions taken. These would be difficult to replicate with filters on the web interface.

Great idea!  I've captured this enhancement request for our next cycle

2) I do some special processing on the syslog messages that reformat them and/or adds content. Is it possible to display the reformatted version of the messages. 

Can you describe the use-case here?  

3) Would it be possible to have a variable that is set to the current rule that is being processed? I would like to be able to include it in some messages/displays from the GUI or Web. It would make it easier to find/fix a problem/message if I know which rule it came from. Being able to add that to a display/filer would also be helpful.

I've captured this as enhancement request for our next cycle.

4) This is unrelated to the beta, are there any plans to add HTML email capabilities to the GUI so I don't have to do it in a script?

Can you describe the use-case here?  Are you just looking for the ability to add HTML tags?

Can you describe the use-case here?  

APC PDU threshold messages don't contain very useful information

the threshold that was reached or the currents amps being used. So I

extract that info from the PDU and send it in an email alert. It would be

nice to have the modified alert displayed on the GUI or Web interface

without having to sent it as a new syslog or snmp trap message.

Can you describe the use-case here?  Are you just looking for the ability to add HTML tags?

Correct, I would like to be able to include HTML tags in the email

message box on the GUI.

chris.lapoint

I've talked with dev and I believe I have some good news on this front.   If you place the reformatting rule before the log to Web Access action, the reformatting should transfer to the syslog messages logged to Web Access.