17 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 10:06 AM by drummer

web interface

jeff.stewart

Looks and feels very nice!  But my messages don't seem to be showing up in the web interface.  They are showing up on the server, just not the web view.  Also, does this have it's own webserver software?  I'm not running IIS and am able to get to the page.

• Re: web interface
          jeff.stewart

OK, I figured out why they weren't showing up in the web interface.  Just a setting that needed to be turned on.

chris.lapoint

Cool. Was it just to enable the Web Access logging action or was it something else?

jeff.stewart

Cool. Was it just to enable the Web Access logging action or was it something else?

Just need to enable the Web Access logging.  It would be cool if it asked if you wanted it enabled during or after setup.

chris.lapoint

I agree.   We'll get this changed so it's the default if you select to install the Web Access component.

I just installed the beta and I'm having the same problem.  Where do you enable it?

Paul

chris.lapoint

Go to your Syslog Server setup screen and add the "Log to Web Access" action.

That did it.   Thanks!

Paul

chris.lapoint

Great!  We look forward to your feedback!  

Specifically, we'd like to know the following:

1. What are your initial thoughts and impressions of Web Access?

2. How will Web Access change/improve the way your work?

3. Is Web Access easy to use?  If not, what was confusing?

4. What are the top 3 things you like/love about Web Access?

5. What are the top 3 things you don't like about Web Access?

almay66

Very clean and easy on the eyes

Cleaner way to view and filter log      messages, versus the original catchall text file and display

I felt it was very easy to use and      somewhat self explanatory

All my monitoring applications are web based, syslog was the only one that wasn't, so that itself is something I love about it.

Ability to create filters

Can't think of any at this time

It looks good...I just need to get the filtering sorted out.

I don't have to stay logged into the server now; this is a good thing.

Yes

a) I don't have to login to the server anymore.

b) It's easy to access

c) more to follow....

Too soon to tell

drummer

It's a good first step to getting web access to the syslog daemon.  I expected it to interact more with the daemon configuration. 

We're trying to web enable as much as possible so this will further provide that capability.

It's easy to get logs sent from the daemon to web access. 

ability to have web access to syslogs and the look and feel

-  Looks like Beta 2 removed the ability to have SSL connectivity to the web access?  Why is that?

-  I was expecting a product that provided a web interface to the daemon.  I don't see that.  None of the daemon configuration is present in the web access tool.  Was this meant to be more of a log viewer replacement?

-  I have to rebuild the filters that I already have in daemon

-  no multi user logins, views or LDAP integration

jacobaklein

I agree with drummer on point 5.

It would be nice to be able to make configuration changes to the daemon itself via the web.

Also, when aplying a filter the column widths are changing.  Once the "Message" column is shrunk, it makes it a little difficult to read the output.

drummer summed my views up.   would like it to be a one for one rep of the settings i have set up on the original.  I mean, i already have different displays setup for types.

DISPLAYS already set in original

ALL - has default filter and displays everything

CORE - Displays only agg and core devices

CPE - displays only the customer end switches

DISTRIBUTION - displays only routers with sub-interfaces for customer or OSPF traffic

FIREWALLS - pix and firewalls only

ROUTERS - BGP session routers to the outside world

INTERNAL - displays only devices used on internal work only network

Basically, i set these up so that if we are having a problem on a particular node, then all we have to do is pick the display and BOOM, the devices only matching the filter show.  I assume this is how most people are using it.

I have tried to setup filters in the web access part and get no choice for being able to apply filters based on ip like in the stand alone.  I have even tried both importing  just the rules file and the total ini and neither one of them would import into the web access setup, it just gives me a generic error that the file type is wrong.

thanks,

Jeff

chris.lapoint

-  Looks like Beta 2 removed the ability to have SSL connectivity to the web access?  Why is that?

To resolve several of the memory leaks, we replaced the  web server infrastructure with a different component which currently does not support HTTPS.   We'll have to look at this for a future release.

-  I was expecting a product that provided a web interface to the daemon.  I don't see that.  None of the daemon configuration is present in the web access tool.  Was this meant to be more of a log viewer replacement?

Good feedback.   I've added this to our tracking system and we'll look at this for the next release.   To help us prioritize, if you had to pick the top 3 config mgmt tasks you'd want exposed from the website, what would they be?

-  I have to rebuild the filters that I already have in daemon

I've added this to our tracking system.   Perhaps we can allow importing of filters from the main Syslog UI.

-  no multi user logins, views or LDAP integration

I've added this to our tracking system.   We wanted to keep it simple for the first release.  How many users would you have?

drummer

Not really looking to modify configs from the web interface but the main feature I'd like to have is being able to import the filters from the daemon into the web interface.  Would also be nice to have custom views based on user profiles. I wouldn't want just any user to have privileges to change the config.   In our current setup, users use the viewer product to gain access to logs.

Our environment has multiple operators that would need to access the web interface so there could be as many as 50 users.  Would like it to be integrated with Active Directory. 

argghh!!! the jags of USA will be back.  Jeff.stewart.  I say that, but dont really believe it............

chris.lapoint

Also, does this have it's own webserver software?  I'm not running IIS and am able to get to the page.

Yes, it includes its own embedded web server.