This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion NPM has stopped sending email alerts

Orion seems to have stopped sending email alerts since the. I have tried stopping and restarting the solarwind alert engine but that hasn't resolved the issue, i have also tried disabling and re enabling an alert and fired off a test alert but that hasn't worked either. Please advise

• Hi,

1) Are you using Basic or Advanced Alerts?

2) Are the alert triggered and not sending emails?

3) Or are they not triggering at all?

Thanks,

Yann

• Hi thanks for your response. 1) We are using basic alert (2) The alerts are triggered as i can see the node as down in system and also when i send a test alert , i recieve an alert, but when a node or interface goes down , orion doesn't send the email or write to a file

• I suggest you to open a support ticket so that someone can have a look at how you defined the alerts.

Basic Alerts do not produce log files, so in your case it is a little bit harder than troubleshooting an advanced alert in the same scenario.

To Open a Ticket: http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket

Once you received your case number by email after submitting the ticket, reply to it with the diagnostics attached.

You can generate the diagnostics by running the below utility:

C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\SolarwindsDiagnostics.exe

If the zip file is above 5MB, you can use leapfile to send the file to us.

a- Go to http://solarwinds.leapfile.com and click “Secure Upload”

b- Enter support@solarwinds.net as the “Receiver Email”.

c- Fill out the form and attach the files to upload.

d- Once its been uploaded, reply to your case to notify that the diags are uploaded.

Thanks,

Yann

• Hi There,

Seems the default time of operation for the basic alerts is 12:00am to 12:00am a period of exactly 0 minutes.

If you change the time of operation to be 12:00am to 11:59pm you should find they start working,

Best,

Jim

• Hello,

I am also having same problem ... please suggest me the best solution

• I'm using advanced alerts but still pretty basic.  NodeStatus equals Down

I am not getting my alerts to fire either.  Other ones like reboot alerts, utilization alerts work but my node down doesn't send emails.

• It our case, it turned out to be a registry key that somehow got set incorrectly by Orion during the upgrade to 10.2. The correct setting should be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolarWinds.net\Alert Manager\settings\
    Disable Alert Actions (set it to False) (32-bit server)

Or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolarWinds.net\Alert Manager\settings\
    Disable Alert Actions (set it to False) (64 bit server)

• Hi AMidnightSoul-

I have issues with dropped SMTP email too.  I was wondering where you found these settings in your Orion platform.  How do I check my registry keys to make sure they are correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bfreking

• Hi AMidnightSoul,

while you are correct, this is a registry setting, this can be accessed easier:

Open Advanced Alert Manager, click on active alerts and on the top right corner you have a checkbox that says to disable all alert actions, if it is checked, no emails will be sent (no other actions will be performed either).

Maybe someone clicked this by accident?

• These are registry settings found on in the Windows Registry, which you can get to by running regedit from the search or run box, on the Start Button menu.  However, if you are not familiar with editing the registry, it might be best to contact tech support and have them walk you through it.  You can hose your system by inadvertantly changing settings in the registry.