5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 5:03 AM by ctschap

Moving NODEs and not losing performance data

Just a qucik question. We are moving all our nodes to a data center. One of the things we are running into is the easiest way to move the node from one IP to another. We had trouble changing the IP address from the node properties in Orion, so we just deleted it and recreated it... but that lost us the historical data from the node. What is the best way to do this and not lose the data?

Thanks!

• Re: Moving NODEs and not losing performance data
          jp

Rane, someone here may correct me if I am wrong, but I think the historical alerts are kept by node GUID and Node ID.  Changing the IP address is one field in the Nodes table, but the traffic stats table works based off of the GUID of the Node ID.

Can you describe the problem you had when you were changing the IP address?  This really should keep the historical statistics since they are not based on IP.

I am running into the same issue; however, I have changed our strategy from monitoring the LAN ethernet interface IP address to the Loopback IP address on all of our routers. When we change the IP under Node Details in System Manager we lose our historical performance data. Is there a better way to do this?

jp

Checking the database, the dbo.ResponseTime_Detail, Daily, and Hourly tables only have a few columns - NodeID, DateTime, Min, Max, Percent loss, availability, and an archive option.

I suppose that upon changing the Node ID, there's a trigger or application option somewhere that actually goes in and wipes out this data - Function, or bug? :)

The good news is that the Node response times and traffic statistics are not stored based on IP so this might be an "easier" bug fix for Solarwinds to work on.

I did some more digging on my side, and some of the switches I changed the management SVI for did purge out records earlier than Feb, I agree with the posts above that the data is lost.