2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 1:28 PM by DavidHart

Kiwi Cat Tools & Engineering Toolset

I was just wondering if a version of Cat Tools would be included in the Engineering Toolset at some point?

I find it usefull for running scripts, but we already have a network config change management solution at my new company.

Thanks,

David

• Re: Kiwi Cat Tools & Engineering Toolset
          chris.lapoint

There are no plans to include it at this point, but this is an interesting question.  A couple follow-up questions for you:

1) How would you use CatTools differently than you would your existing NCCM solution at your company?   I.E. Why CatTools?

2) If #1 isn't an option, have you considered buying CatTools and using it just for running scripts?

• Re: Kiwi Cat Tools & Engineering Toolset

1.  I would use Catttools on an Ad-Hoc basis.  More specifically, for gathering switch/router information (i.e. routes, port usage, etc.), by running commands, which is then dumped to logs for later examination. 

In other words, for situations other than backing up or changing configs.

2.  I have considered it, but would likely see if there was a way to do this with our existing config management tool first.  However, we have purchased multiple copies of the Engineering Toolset, so if it was going to be included...

3.  A version of NPM is included with the Engineering Toolset, why not CatTools?  (grin)

Thanks,

David