11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 3:07 PM by greg@solarwinds.net

Bridge-MIB

wcq-admin

I've just installed Solarwinds version 10 and I'm tryng to use the switchport mapper but I'm coming up with an error saying the device does not support the Bridge-MIB.  This error appears for both Cisco switches and routers.

Does anyone know where I can get this MIB?

Cheers

• Re: Bridge-MIB

wcq-admin - Bridge-MIB support should be pretty standard on IOS and CatOS devices.  There might be a few things causing the SPM to report that it is not supported:

• Using an SNMP view that restricts access to the MIB (BRIDGE-MIB:dot1dBridge)
          • Communicating to a device with an unsupported SNMP version (some older devices will only respond to SNMPv1, but the Workspace Studio SPM will use v2 unless you turn it off for that device in the manage devices dialog.) 

HTH,

Greg

chris3453

i am having the same problem with a cisco 3750. I know that my settings for the community string etc are correct. I have just opened a ticket about this issue. Wcq-admin did you manage to find a solution to the problem?

Cheers

Chris

Chris - are you using the Workspace Studio SwitchPortMapper, or the classic version?

Thanks,

Greg

chris3453

Hi greg,

I am using the New Workspace studio. I have just tried using the classic tool (switchport mapper v10.0.0.237) and it seems to work fine! The only information thats not displayed seems to be the IP address of the connected interfaces and the DNS/NB Name. I have run a ping sweep to try and get all the ports into the switches arp table but this has made no difference. Any Ideas? It is however picking up all the other information including the VLAN that the port is a member of.

I was under the impression that the Workspace studio was just a new GUI for the classic tools is this not the case or are there other ways in which Workspace studio version needs configured?

Regards

Chris

chris3453

Just to update the post. I have fixed the issue with the classic tools not returning IP or DNS entries (i had not configured a layer 3 device in the settings before running the scan)

As to the Workspace studio not working i currently have an open case with support that has gone to the dev teams for investigation.

sljones62

I have the same issue.  We have two identical Cisco 6509 swiches and when using the new version 10 (workspace or classic tools) I get the bridge-mib error on one of them. 

Using the older verion 9.2.0.51 of the engineers toolset and switch port map tool, i can port map both switches. 

I am using the same SNMP strings etc on both switches and on both version of the port mapper both switches are in the same IP space, connected to the same LAN with the same VLAN structure. 

There is definitely some sort of problem with the newer version 10.

I checked out a packet capture a customer sent in yesterday (with the same issue), and it seemed the non-functioning switch would not respond with the bridge-MIB when using SNMPv1.  Can you set the device setting for "use SNMPv1" = false in the Manage devices dialog, restart the Workspace Studio and try again?

If you still have no luck, send me a packet capture of the SNMP traffic please.

Thanks,

Greg

I am having similar problems.  I can get the "device does not support the Bridge-MIB" to stop by creating seperate contexts for each VLAN, however, when I attempt to map the ports it completes and gives me no output at all.  When I attempt to use the classic Switchport mapper, the SNMP credentials pass when I test them, but I get the error:  "x.x.3.16" does not reply to SNMP queries using test (where test is the name of my credential set).  This is frustrating, as I can get SNMP v2c to work with no problems at all.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In regards to SNMPv3 and MAC's on the non-default VLAN, please see Re: Problems with Switch Port Mapper and SNMP v3? post.

In regards to "This device does not support the Bridge-MIB" message, this can be caused by many things.  If you are getting the error using SNMPv3 (on a Cisco switch), see Re: Problems with Switch Port Mapper and SNMP v3? post.  If you are getting the error via SNMPv1/2c, should take a look at the defined SNMP view for that community string to make sure it has access to that part of the MIB.

You can quickly test if you have access using the SNMP MIB Browser or MIB-Viewer tools in the Classic Tools section of the Toolset - Look for the BRIDGE-MIB:dot1dTpFdbTable.

HTH,

Greg

JasonKV

I really would like to have assistance on this. I have two IDENTICAL IOS versions, on two 3750 Stacks, with the same SNMP configuration, on the same subnet, in the same building. Both work fine on V.10 GUI Mapper. One fails on workspace and command line mapper, while the other works fine. Please help. I can not spot any differences in the switches.

I MIB Walked both and same issue one says it does not support Bridge-MIB while the other does. Very confusing.

Opened Case#94023

If I remember correctly there was a similar problem in V9 when it first came out. Can this be a similar bug that needs corrected.