7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 6:13 PM by goofyzig

Query: NPM:: Monitor Polling Engines

Miron

Hi,

I have opened the Monitor Polling Engines and in order to do some poller loadbalancing. When viewing the diagram view i see the two polling engines continually changing state between between running and stopped. I am presuming that this is not normal and is it possible to find out why it changes state.

Regards

Miron

• Re: Query: NPM:: Monitor Polling Engines
          savell

I've had this before when the time wasn't synced between the pollers. Try syncing your servers to a single ntp source and see if this still occurs.

Dave

Miron

Hi,

Checked that and both devices have the same ntp source and showing the same time.

Regards

Miron

I have the same problem... it is actually due to that we have changed the hostname on the polling-engine so now there are two polling-engines registered in the database with the same IP-address but with different hostnames... so one of the hostnames turns up as red and the other as green in monitor polling engines program. I've submitted a ticket and asked how we can remove the one with the faulty hostname (case #98899)

/ Morgan

Oh, I actually just figured it out myself :)

I went into Monitor Polling Engines - Servers - Poller Load Balancing and when I then closed down the popup window it said that one of the polling-engines didn't have any machines assigned to it and asked if I wanted to remove it from the database... problem solved!

/ Morgan

goofyzig

Im running NPM 9.5 SP5.  When I run the "Monito Polling Engines" application I get the same behaviour:  says it's Running in green color, then goes to yellow (stopping), then red (stopped), then green again. On and on.

I was informed by support that this application is not a reliable measure of the polling engine status, that it has not worked well since a few versions back.  They suggested that a MUCH better NPM process status is obtained by looking at either:

1) Orion Service Manager  (the top application listed there is the NPM process), or

2) the Computer Management MMC under the Services listing for the NPM service (hit F5 often to manually refresh the status)

Bottom line:  the Monitoring Polling Engines application is unreliable/not working as expected.