4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 3:21 PM by greg@solarwinds.net

Strange SNMP Problem

cvonhassel

When I try manage a device (via Workspace Studio) using a known SNMP string I get credentials failed. When I perform Switch Port Mapper on the same switch and check use assigned credential again "Credential test failed". When I select an existing credential (same credentials as assigned) or manually enter a community string it works. I'm using the same community string every time. So far it only happens on Enterasys switches but not every one.

• Re: Strange SNMP Problem

cvonhassel - that is kind of unusual. Try this, when adding the node, click 'Discover Credential' and see what occurs.  This will attempt to validate one of the stored credentials.

--Greg

cvonhassel

Strange again. I didn't try to discover the credentials. But this worked. The application picked the same credentials I was trying to use. Anyway since it's working I'm happy and if it happens again I'll know what to do.

cvonhassel

Ok, I know I'm not nuts now. When using Workspace Studio Switch Port Mapper, devices that were working are no longer working. I tried using known SNMP community strings but it doesn't work. I tried having Manage devices and credentials discover the credential but that didn't work. I used the classic switch port mapper using the exact same credentials and it works.

Follow-up:

I was able to do a goto meeting with cvonhassel, and we found an interesting quirk in the Manage Devices dialog: Changing the the SNMP credential version preference and then hitting 'Discover Credential' does not respect the newly set preference, and will use the old preferences.  If you are communicating with devices that only respond to a particular version, this can cause some confusion.

To workaround this, save the version preference by clicking the 'OK' button, then re-open the Manage Devices dialog and select 'Discover Credential...'

Thanks to cvonhassel for the assist.

--Greg