This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Additional Polling Engine placement

I am preparing to install an additional polling engine for our NPM 9.1 SP4 environment.  Currently we have an installation of NPM SLX with an external SQL 2005 database.  Initially I was prepared to install the engine at a remote site.  I was told it should be close to the SQL database.  Is there any documentation/best practice/recommendation I can look over?  Does anyone have advice or an experience to inform?  Thanks.

• As far as I understand, Solarinds does not recommend installation of an additional poller remotely. That said I know from a number of forum posts that it has been done.

How many elements are you intending to monitor from the remote site and over what bandwidth/latency?

We run one of our additional pollers remotely (5000 elements). However it's in another data center connected via gigabit layer2 links - which can't really be classed as remote.

Dave.