3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 3:20 PM by pguenther

IPAM Beta Check In

bshopp

Beta Team,

First off, thank you for all the comments and feedback up to this point, they have been extremely valuable and helpful!!

I wanted to ask ya’ll some direct questions in regard to IPAM 1.0.

• So, what are your initial thoughts and impressions? 
      • How do you think this will change how you work?
      • Is it easy to use?
      • What are some of the benefits of this over how you do this today?

Again, thank you for all your feedback!

Brandon

• Re: IPAM Beta Check In
          fluxeon

My initial thought: Easy to install, up and running very quickly. Nicely laid out.

Only issue I am having is My import from the tool set is not going well. It did not import all of the IP Subnets.

Work Flow Change: Not having to remember all the time to active the IP mgmt in my tool box to keep the subnets current.  :)

Very Easy to use, pretty straight forward. Like the layout.

Benefits: Continous scanning and Toolset IP mgmt does not need to be active.

Keeping current on our current subnets and see a dah view of usage.

There is a large amount of potential but it would be a step back from our home grown solution.  We have pushed hard over the past couple years for users to turn on their firewall.  Lost in that was to allow ICMP which depreciates the value of this product (please correct me if I am wrong).  Our current home grown solution allows us to tie an IP or MAC to a switch and port regardless if the host is allowing ICMP or utilizes SNMP, which most desktop computers do not.

It has been mentioned in some of the posts that integration with NPM would be an added plus but take that a step further to where IPAM is able to tie all the pieces together.  Most of the bigger solution we have looked at achieve this and it becomes one of the big selling points from our perspective.  Being able to provide an IP or MAC and turn that in to a switch and port with historical "moving around" details is a must.

I should add that I am in a University environment where we have a varying level of control over servers and desktop computers.  As with most home grown solutions they achieve the things you need and were created because you were probably not able to find or afford an open or commercial product.

pguenther
                • So, what are your initial thoughts and impressions? 
                  • Love it, love it, love it
                • How do you think this will change how you work?
                  • Allows a central place for admins to allocate IPs with notations of what they are doing and why.
                  • Not having to have the IP DB tool open to scan subnets.
                • Is it easy to use?
                  • So far very easy to use. Looking forward to different roles, different permissions to different subnets/sites.
                • What are some of the benefits of this over how you do this today?
                  • Centralized application. This will greatly ease a complete IP transition of 30 sites.