5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 1:24 PM by bshopp

Odd behavior, not scanning subnet?

Craig Norborg

Ok, I've added a couple supernets and subnets.   Lets say we have the 10.24.0.0/16 supernet and I put in the 10.24.0.0/20 subnet and another one, lets say 10.24.64.0/22 subnet.  IPAM adds IP's and scans for the 10.24.64.0 subnet, but not the 10.24.0.0/20 subnet.  I've tried doing a manual scan with no luck.

Also, in the "IP Address View" it would be nice to be able to select the # of IP addresses displayed.  Right now it looks like it lets you scroll through about 100 at a time, but for me I'd rather scroll through all the IP's in that subnet, or maybe 256 at a time?   Just seems awkward doing it 100 at a time when working with IP's...   Either that or not scroll at all?   Having to both scroll and go to different pages just doesn't seem that intuitive...

• Re: Odd behavior, not scanning subnet?
          Craig Norborg

Have tried a few other things to get this working.  Deleted the subnet and re-added it.  No luck.

Now I'm trying to add the "IP Range" manually.   I've tried setting the starting IP to 10.24.0.1 and the ending to 10.24.15.255, but it tells me the ending IP is not in the subnet range.  Oddly enough, the highest IP I can put in the ending IP box where it tells me its in the range is 10.24.15.14...   However, it appears to be scanning that range at least. 

Definitely looks like a bug of some sort.  Maybe the two are related?   The part that would add the IP range automatically tries doing through 10.24.15.255, but the part that actually adds it checks and thinks its not within the subnet boundry?  Just guessing, but it looks like the math is off somewhere...

bshopp

OK, spent some time parsing through this thread.  We actually had this discussion internally yesterday about this.  

So right now we have it set if you add a subnet that is a /20 or below we automatically populate the IP Addresses into the subnet upon creation.

For /19 and above, we create an empty subnet and you must add the IP Range you wish to manage manually.  We just don't do a great job of explaining or letting you know that right now.

We are going to add some UI text and checkbox in the creation wizard to make this more apparent to ya'll.  

Main idea was for larger subnets, we want to put some controls in there so you don't populate your system and DB with IP's you don't want and then have to go manually delete them.  On a /24 that is not so bad to do, but on a /16 that would be bad, so as you get into the larger subnets, have more flexability in the system.

Craig Norborg

Ok, I think I get what you mean.   To keep things clear, you should say "For a /19 or larger subnet" or "is a /20 or smaller subnet".  Most people would think a "/20 or below" would mean a /0 -> /20, while I'm pretty sure you meant a /20 -> /32, right?

In this case I had a /20, so if you are doing a /20 or smaller subnet, that part was broken.  Also, when I tried to put in 10.24.15.255 as the ending address, but wasn't able to, that must be broken too.

We deal with so many subnets, most of which we don't care about scanning most of the time, so I think I'd prefer to have it not scan unless we told it to.   Just doing it now for testing purposes...

bshopp

Also, in the "IP Address View" it would be nice to be able to select the # of IP addresses displayed. --

Good idea, main reason is large subnet trying to return 60000 rows will be a performance hit.  If you get to that many IP's search might be a better mechnism to limit down what you want to look at