4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 3:09 PM by denny.lecompte

Demo OPM

pvaldes

Hi all,

New user. Currently proposing Solarwinds Orion NPM, NCM and NTA for our new network monitoring system.

We are going to purchase 500 nodes license for NPM/NTA and 100 for the NCM. What are your server requirements and can I still run all application including SQL 2000 in the one server or do I need to separate SQL 2000 dedicate to a server on its own?

Thanks

• Re: Demo OPM
          denny.lecompte

Yes, you need to run your database on a separate server.  NPM and NTA combined will hit the DB pretty hard, and if the server and the DB are all sharing the same CPU, memory, and disk I/O, you'll get poor performance.

My other recommendation is to use SQL 2005 instead of SQL 2000.  With the next release of NPM, we will discontinue support for SQL 2000 because Microsoft is no longer fully support it and because we will add SQL 2008 support.  Continuing SQL 2000 support is preventing us from leveraging performance-improving technologies available in 2005 and beyond.

• Re: Demo OPM
            pvaldes

Thanks for the reply denny.lecompte. I will use SQL2k5 on the live service.

I had a demo server running for almost 2 weeks all integrated in the one server (NPM,NCM,NTA and SQL2k) and for some reason it has stop responding period.

I just want to make sure if this is possibly cause by SQL db on the same server as the Orion application.

BTW, is your recommendation to have SQL and Orion running on separate server base on SL500+ nodes license or any SL license type?

Thanks

.ılılı..ılılı.