11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 2:50 PM by pguenther

Importing Subnets

pguenther

I currently have three different IP Address .IPDB files I use to manage our various subnets. One file has 50+ subnets. Is there a way to import the entire DB instead of having to export each subnet to a csv file?

• Re: Importing Subnets
          bshopp

Yes, on page 2 of the readme I sent with the beta notification announcement, there is a command line method to import:

Importing Subnets from toolset IP Address Manager:

1. Copy the toolset IP Address Manager IPDB to the IPAM Beta evaluation server

2. Open the command prompt

3. cd to "c:\program files\solarwinds\orion\ipam"

4. Execute - solarwinds.ipam.init.exe -import overwrite -file "PATH-TO-DB-FILE.IPDB"

pguenther

Thanks. I ran the import on one of my smaller files and go the following error:

C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\IPAM>solarwinds.ipam.init.exe -import overwrit
              e -file C:\Temp\All-Companies.IPDB

Unhandled Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Incorrect syntax near '
              s'.
              Incorrect syntax near 's'.
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolea
              n breakConnection)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception
              , Boolean breakConnection)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObj
              ect stateObj)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cm
              dHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, Tds
              ParserStateObject stateObj)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, Run
              Behavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBe
              havior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
              ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult
               result)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult res
              ult, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
                 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
                 at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command, SqlC
              onnection connection, SqlTransaction transaction)
                 at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
                 at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.IPAM_NodeDAL.InsertSubnetNodes(List`1 nodes, Int32
              subnetID)
                 at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.PushSubnetNodes(List`1 nodes, ImportMo
              de mode, Int32 subnetId)
                 at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.ImportToolsetSubnetsDatabase(String fi
              lepath, ImportMode mode, List`1 results)
                 at IPAM.Init.Program.Import()
                 at IPAM.Init.Program.Main(String[] args)

It imported three subnets before throwing the above error.

bshopp

What was the name of the 4th subnet?  What DB version are you on?

pguenther

Assuming it is counting subnets from top down the name of the 4t subnet was 10.211.10.0 - GRA VLAN 10 (Data). I though maybe the () were the problem so I removed those and tried again. Same problem. Is the - character the problem? We are running IP-Address-Management version 9.2.0.47. I am using SQL Express on the Eval software (whatever version that the eval installs for you).

I had a similar error on another one of my files:

C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\IPAM>solarwinds.ipam.init.exe -import overwrit
                      e -file C:\Temp\IP-Address-Management.IPDB

Unhandled Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Incorrect syntax near '
                      s'.
                      Unclosed quotation mark after the character string ',NULL,1)'.
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolea
                      n breakConnection)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception
                      , Boolean breakConnection)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObj
                      ect stateObj)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cm
                      dHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, Tds
                      ParserStateObject stateObj)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, Run
                      Behavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBe
                      havior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
                      ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult
                       result)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult res
                      ult, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
                         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
                         at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command, SqlC
                      onnection connection, SqlTransaction transaction)
                         at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
                         at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.IPAM_NodeDAL.InsertSubnetNodes(List`1 nodes, Int32
                      subnetID)
                         at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.PushSubnetNodes(List`1 nodes, ImportMo
                      de mode, Int32 subnetId)
                         at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.ImportToolsetSubnetsDatabase(String fi
                      lepath, ImportMode mode, List`1 results)
                         at IPAM.Init.Program.Import()
                         at IPAM.Init.Program.Main(String[] args)

bshopp

Looks like a defect, I will get that filed.  Can you check and see if on that subnet name or comments field if you have a ' in it and if so, take it out and try again

pguenther

Did a bit more research. I exported this particular subnet to a CSV file and tried to manually import it through the GUI. I got an Import Validation Error. The row it shows say the error is "LastSync is invalid". I went ahead and imported the file. I then deleted the problem subnet from the original database and tried to reimport the modified file. It looks like I got the same (or very similar) error. Don't know if this helps or not.

Oh and there are no ' that I can find although I cannot for sure say that all of the comment fields are free of this character.

Peter.Cooper

Hi pguenther.

I used your IPDB file as the source for our bug, codefix, and verification steps. I've included the patch in a "buddy drop" located here. Can you please give it a shot and report back? Thanks!

ftp://ftp.solarwinds.net/IPAM/v1/Beta2/SolarWinds-Orion-IPAM-v1-bd1.zip

This particular build didn't go through the entire process we normally go through for a publicly published set of bits, but I think it will do you nicely.

One thing to note: the command line tool is overwriting the subnet's contents. So, if you've managed to get any data in, it's about to be destroyed. Considering where you are with your experience, I didn't think you'd mind.

---

Install: Just run the exe inside the zip
                      Revert (just in case): Uninstall IPAM, run through config wizard (DB + Website + Services), Install original IPAM Beta 2 build.