This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Poor Syslog Web performance

For quite a while now (I would say since 9.1 SP2 if not further back) I have experienced painfully slow response time when accessing syslog through the Orion web site.  This occurs when trying to access the syslog web console as well as through the Syslog Summary resource within a page.  I am always experiencing this slowness while navigating throughout the rest of the web site is fast.  Is anybody else experiencing this type of slow performance accessing syslog through the web site?

• AMSW:

how is your SQL set up? i once had this same experience until i made some updates...

i have SQL on its on seperate system. i had my SQL on older hardware, 100Mbps NIC and with Raid 5 and just gave up using SYSLOG but recently updated my hardware and have a 1000Mbps NIC and now have RAID 1+0 (aka RAID 10). and wow - what a difference it has made - my SYSLOG is performing fantastic now, even SNMP TRAPS.

this is why i ask about your SQL set up - it made a big difference for me and i don't have any of those slow issues now when using SYSLOG messages and i can also use SNMP TRAPS again.

• lchance,

Thanks for you response.  I am currently running 1000mbps NIC but still with a RAID 5 setup.... I am looking to change to RAID 1+0 and am happy to hear that you noticed a significant improvement.  Before making these changes did you experience issues with the rest of the web site performance or just the Syslog and Traps sections?

Thanks!

• i think both SYSLOG messages and SNMP TRAPS are the biggest hit on SQL. and if you have NetFlow then it is compounded. and i tried to have all three on my old system.

on my old system i could use NetFlow but had to turn off SYSLOG and SNMP TRAPS but now i can use all three...life is good...

maybe someone else can give other input to you but this has been my experience. good luck to you!