This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed

I recieve the following error when I run the Orion configuration wizard:

Website configuration failed:  
 •  Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed -  The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

I have not seen this error message in the forums....has anyone seen this issue before?  I beleive that it is an issue with our IIS, but can't pinpoint where?  Help?

• Erik-

Is this still an issue? If so, you can start with a few things to try to pinpoint before you rip out IIS and start over. 

First, run the Orion Permission Checker (C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\LogAdjuster.exe)

*If your install directory in different, please adjust accordingly.

The output should look similar to this:

Check succeeded for write access to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files by NETWORK SERVICE.
    Check succeeded for read access to C:\InetPub\SolarWinds by IUSR_SUP-SVR03-50.
    Check succeeded for read access to C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\ by NETWORK SERVICE.
    Check succeeded for read access to C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\ by SOLARWINDS_WEBSITE.
    Check succeeded for write access to C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\\WebCache by SOLARWINDS_WEBSITE.

If that checks out, run the Log Level Adjuster, then run Diagnostics and try to reproduce the error:

SolarWinds Orion Log Level Adjuster

This tool allows you to adjust the level of logging for Orion Core, Orion NPM, and the other modules before running the diagnostic tool, allowing you to gather as much detail as necessary from the installed products.

1. Run the Log Level Adjuster on the Orion Core install.
      *Warning: Before changing any of the logging levels, ensure you note the currently set levels.   These levels are the defaults.
    2. Change the logging levels as appropriate.
    3. Click OK.
    4. Reproduce the error for which you want to capture logs.
    5. Run the diagnostics tool and collect the logs.
    6. Rerun the Log Level Adjuster and set the logging levels back to the defaults.

*Note: Logging levels are inclusive. Therefore, Debug includes Info, Warn, Error, and Fatal. Info includes Warn, Error, and Fatal.

Orion Diagnostics

1. Navigate to:  Start Menu\Programs\SolarWinds Orion\Documentation and Support\Orion Diagnostics
    2. Click Start
    3. Place the file in a location that you can access/remember
    4. When the application is finished it will return to the exact same place it started with the START button highlighted and the log collection window will be gone.

If all of that fails, call SolarWinds Support or go to the Support site and open a ticket and let them know that you have already posted here, run the permission checker, and run the diagnostics.

Support Line: 866.530.8040  or  www.solarwinds.com/.../ticket

• I am having the same issue. I've read through your post, however, when I look for the LogAdjuster.exe, I don't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I have the same exact problem, I do not see what you reference in your instructions on my install. This is after installing NPM 11.5.2 and its Hotfixes

• I was just wondering, when you run the Configuration Wizard, did you use port 443 instead of 80?

Website Settings.JPG

• In my case I discovered that connections on port 80 were not enabled, and 443 was. I enabled HTTP and that resolved the problem. Thank you!!!

• So really the problem is using HTTPS, but some of us want to use HTTPS over port 443, is this error just acceptable then?

• You technically can ignore this error, but it makes the config wizard take a lot longer to complete.  Been a while since i had to fix this but I think if you set up an http to https redirect the config wizard can complete successfully without complaining.  Probably need to double check that all the right things are set up correctly in terms of setting up the system to use https because if everything is set correctly the error wont happen.

Enable SSL or https for the Orion Web Console - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• This fail show I all browsers???

Enviado do meu iPhone

Em 15 de nov de 2016, às 19:45, jxchappell <communityteam@solarwinds.com> escreveu:

Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed

reply from jxchappell in Network Performance Monitor - View the full discussion

So really the problem is using HTTPS, but some of us want to use HTTPS over port 443, is this error just acceptable then?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on THWACK

Start a new discussion in Network Performance Monitor by email or at THWACK

Following Network Performance Monitor in these streams: Email Watches, Inbox, Connections Stream

• What did you do exactly?  I setup for 443/HTTPS, and Id prefer to keep it that way.  Did you have to rerun the config wizard and change it to http, or was there something you did during the NTA install or config wizard?