6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 9:24 AM by jeff.stewart

Netflow Best Practices

Debbi

I got an email in response to one of my support tickets that said:

"The first thing that I have noticed is that your DB recovery model is set to FULL.  Our baseline recommendation for best practices is a SIMPLE recovery model so that performance does not become an issue.  We have seen lots of instances where the DB health overall (even from relatively new DB's is affected adversely in this case). "

I am unable to find any document that addresses "Best Practices" as far as SQL settings for Netflow (other than what is in the admin guide) and would be extremely interested in seeing the "SolarWinds Netflow baseline recommendations for best practices". 

I also would like to know, if one is using "simple" recovery, how one would restore effectively between backups without transaction logs.

Thanks.

Debbi

• Re: Netflow Best Practices
          Debbi

Anyone?

Debbi,

I suggest you open a support ticket on this.

jeff.stewart

Debbie,

How do you have your RAID setup on the SQL server?  How much memory do you have?  If more than for do you have the right setting in your boot.ini and in SQL?

Jeff

jeff.stewart

Here is a post, not sure if it will help as I've not opened the attachment.

The specified item was not found.

Debbi

Thank you for your kind replies.  One of the replies suggested that I open a support ticket.  As you can see, my original message was quoting from my support ticket, and the tech did not have any document to refer me to concerning simple or full SQL recovery mode and best practices.  I did look at the attachment later referenced and it also did not specify any unique SQL settings.  We have mirrored drives and 4 gigs of ram.  What settings are you referring to when you say the "right setting in your boot.ini and in SQL?"  This is what I have been asking for... where is the document that tells me what the "right settings" are?  I know I do not have the optimal Raid, but I do want to be sure I have everything set right to get the best performance with what I have.  Again, what are you recommending to customers for a backup strategy if I set db recovery to simple as the tech recommended?  Thanks. 

-Debbi

jeff.stewart

I've never found anything from SolarWinds that really tells you how to setup your SQL DB for best performance with their products.  I've only learned through support and researching things. 

Here is what I mean about the boot.ini file.  Depending on your OS, SQL isn't using all the memory it could in your server.  I would recommend reading the link below and then probably adding the /3GB to your boot.ini file.  

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

After that I would check to make sure SQL can allocate that memory.  Do this by checking the box under memory properties.  "Use AWE to allocate memory"

I've recently learned that it may be better to have a RAID 1 for your OS and log DB files and then a RAID 10 for the actual DB files. 

These are just my recommendations, use them at your own risk.  Hope that helps.