3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 2:42 PM by denny.lecompte

Change Community Strings on Multiple Nodes

agreen

I found an old post that didn't really go anywhere on the subject, so I thought that I'd give the problem another try.

I have a large number of nodes that I'd like to change the SNMP RO and RW community strings for. I can script the change on the nodes themselves using Cirrus Configuration Manager, and would now like to do a bulk change in Orion (v 8.5.1) for the monitoring purposes.

The previous thread suggests the following: Changing Community Strings

------------------------------

you can do this via the read/write aspect of solarwinds database manager

update nodes
      set community = 'NewCommunity'
      where community ='OldCommunity'

------------------------------

Since I only want to run this against my Nortel equipment (most report as Synoptics), I suppose that the full query will look like this:

update nodes

set community = ''new-RO-community'
      set communityRW = 'new-RW-community'
      where community ='old-RO-community' and communityRW='old-RW-community' and Vendor='Synoptics'

The entire update process will then go as such?

-Open SolarWinds Database Manager

-Expand NetPerfMon database > Right-click Nodes table and select Query

-Test the lookup portion by ensuring that the Read-Only button is selected, and input the following query

Select *

From Nodes

where community ='old-RO-community' and communityRW='old-RW-community' and Vendor='Synoptics'

-Click Refresh to view the results of the query and ensure that the proper records are being viewed

To make the change:

-Change the Query method to Read-Write

update nodes

set community = ''new-RO-community'
      set communityRW = 'new-RW-community'

Any input would certainly be helpful. I think that I've got it sorted out, but I'd still like some feedback.

Thanks.