This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion NPM Statuspolling

Hi All

i was wondering if there is a way to tell Orion to use different Pollingintervals if a standard Poll of a device Fails.

For example: If i configure Orion to just poll every 5 minutes and if i do not want do get informed if a Node isn't reachable when just one poll fails. I will get informed about a down device after 15 minutes (when the poll fails 3 times). Thats to late because the user who uses a Service is faster using his phone than orion to send me a mail in this case ;-)

Is there a Way to tell Orion: if a Poll fails try to Poll the device 5 times with a interval of 10 Secs... and if those polls fail set the devicestatus down?

thanks for any tips
Stefan

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

There's no way to tell it specifically, but it already does this automatically.  When a ping is missed, NPM marks i as warning, goes into "fast poll" mode and pings the device a bunch of times.  It's only marked down if it misses all those polls. 

• Hi denny

thanks for the info. Can you tell me how many times and with which interval the "fast poll" works?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to StefanBrill

It polls every 10 seconds until the device is either down or back up.  Then it goes to normal polling.

• Dear denny,

I am curious about this, may be someone else also want to know about this

"It polls every 10 seconds until the device is either down or back up" together with what you said in previous post, "It's only marked down if it misses all those polls."

I would like to know, how many times will it totally ping in the "fast poll" mode before it marks down or goes back to normal polling?
    6 times (1 minute)? 12 times (2 minutes)? or else?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
    Jason

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jasonyau

It's marked down when it missed 10 polls.  That would include the poll that sent it into fast poll mode.  When 10/10 are missed, packet loss is 100% and we mark it down and go back to normal polling.