5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 3:31 PM by bshopp

Monitoring Mapped Drives

Is there a simple way to create a monitor to check for the existance of a mapped drive?

• Re: Monitoring Mapped Drives
          Yann

Hi,

You can use an external process monitor that will query the Win32_LogicalDisk WMI Class and return a down status if your specific mapped drives is not connected or if no mapped drives are connected.

This can be done by using a vbs script and making it return a specific value. If the value returned is different than the value expected the monitor will be down.

I attached a script example to the post which returns the value 0 if no mapped drives exist on the remote host, and return 1 in all the other cases.

Here is tutorial to create an External Process Monitor: http://support.ipmonitor.com/helps/cb313818bd644970980dbaf061ff6c96.aspx

I set the monitor here with the followin parameters:

Executable Name: cscript.exe

Directory: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Command Line Parameter: C:\path\to\the\script\script.vbs ComputerName

Startup Directory: C:\

I recommend you to test the script manually before configuring it in ipMonitor.

HTH,

Yann

Thanks, I've made some progress, but still having some issues.

The script is in place and working. If I execute the VBS locally on the server, it works fine. However, when I set u the monitor in IPMonitor, the monitor fails for the following reason.

The Credential is not available for external process impersonation

I'm using the same admin account that I use for all other monitors and I have even changed it to my own credentials and I still get a failure.

Yann

I am not sure if it will work but you might try to modify the below line from:

Set oSvc = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Security)}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

To:

Set oSvc = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Yann
                  lsanchez

Is there a way I can monitor disk space for the Mounted Volume?  I recently ran out of disk space on a mounted volume and had no way of knowing.

When I click on the Resources for the monitored Windows Server I can only see drive letters and not mounted volumes.

bshopp

Not in the current version.  SAM, our other Server & Application Monitoring product is adding this in the release they are working on.  We have this for ipMonitor as an open enhancement request, but no timeline I can offer up.  If you had a generic WMI monitor that would allow you to put together your own monitor via a WMI query, would that work in the  meantime till we did out of the box support?