5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 6:27 PM by jnathlich

Importing from Visio into Map Maker

scunha

I'm having trouble selecting some of the devices I import from Visio into Map Maker. Most of them import fine, but I have a few that once imported, do not generate a thumbnail correctly for the graphic selector. So when I bring it up to select them, it's just a small grey box that is not clickable with the name under it.

I've tried all sorts of things to get it working right, saving as different formats, copying into word/paint.net first then copying to the map maker, saving it directly as a wmf/gif from visio then copying the file over, as well as a few other things. 

This seems to happen more often with 1 and 2U devices so I wonder if the map maker just has a problem showing the thumbnail for devices that are too thin.

Has anybody else had this problem? Or better yet, a way to fix it?

Using NPM 9.1 SP4 with Map Maker 9.1.2

• Re: Importing from Visio into Map Maker
          michalB

what is the size of the actual image for which the thumbnail is displayed? If the size is small, the control displaying thumbnails is not able to display it correctly and displays the gray box you have in the picture

scunha

This is a visio shape, so it's vectored, but the default size is 152x14. I've tried increasing the size to over 10 times that but it still does the same thing.

davbyrd

I'm not near my VM at the moment, but I believe if you attempt a copy and "paste special" - you may get a better result.

HTH

scunha

I thought that was the only way to import shapes from visio into the map maker? Is there another way I'm not aware of I can try?

No answers here, but yes I have the same problem. 

It's inconsistent between specific icons from a .vss file.  Some work some don't.  I've been into it down to the datasheet level in visio trying to find the difference, and no luck.  I've combined 2 master shapes (one that worked, one that didn't) and the combined shape seems to work, but I can't find the property that affects it.  Might be an issue between 2003 or earlier vs. 2007 shapes, but I haven't tracked that down.

If you want to work with the shape, you have to import it separately into all the documents you want to use it in, because there doesn't appear to be a copy/paste between maps. If you save your imported shape as the same name (paste special/enter name of object) in each map then it appears to link them together.