This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

License question: keep track of number of objects to monitor

Is there a way to keep track of the number of objects you monitor?  I have NPM SL2000 and recently reached my limit of 2000 elements to monitor.  Now I have to remove elements to get below the 2000 limit.  I want to know if there is a way to keep track of the number of elements I have.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

In System Manager, go to HBelp and it will give you the number of monitored devices and elements.

In the web interface, go to the Admin screen.  In the Details Area, go to License Details.

• Thanks for the info.  Using the web interface, I notice the following:  3112 elements; 259 Nodes; 979 Interfaces; 1874 Volumes.

Question:  Giving the information above, does this mean that I am still over my 2000 limit?

• NoeO:

The Orion REPORT WRITER has a base Inventory report and it could be used to create and place in your Orion Report Scheduler emails to be sent weekly or daily to yourself/others to help stay on top of your element count.

Here's an example of the SQL code from a report I created:

SELECT
    Engines.ServerName AS ServerName, Engines.IP AS ServerIP, Engines.LicensedElements AS LicensedElements, Engines.Elements AS Elements, Engines.Nodes AS Nodes, Engines.Interfaces AS Interfaces, Engines.Volumes AS Volumes
     FROM
    Engines

• Dear all,

I am also curious about it. Is the license number just the sum of number of all nodes, interfaces and volumes?

Just use NoeO's post as an example what I mean. Is the license number is 3112 for him where 3112=259+979+1874. i.e. he/she is still over the limit 2000. Is the calculation method like this?

If so, for choosing which license, say SL500, SL2000 or SLX, will depends on the sum of number of nodes, interfaces and volumes?

Anyone can help? Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Jason

• I am also curious about it. Is the license number just the sum of number of all nodes, interfaces and volumes?

According to the Cost Calculator page for Orion NPM:

Orion NPM is licensed by the largest number of the three following object types:

• Interfaces:interfaces include switch ports, physical interfaces, virtual interfaces, sub-interfaces, VLANs, and any other single point of network traffic. The number of interfaces is typically the highest of the three objects in most deployments. (NoeO has 979)
    • Nodes: nodes include entire devices, for example, routers, switches, servers, access points, and modems. (NoeO has 259)
    • Volumes: volumes are equal to the logical drives you monitor. (NoeO has 1874)
  • Dear EZakes,

If it is licensed by the largest number of the three object types, in NoeO's case, the licensed should be 1874, which is the number of Volumes.

Hope I understand it well, under this calculation method, he/she is supposed not over the limit 2000, is that right?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
    Jason

• I just have a SL 250 license to get started and I am only monitoring my uplink ports and server ports to get by.  I really like Orion and want to go all out and monitor every port.  Is there a way to find out how many ports that would be?

• If it is licensed by the largest number of the three object types, in NoeO's case, the licensed should be 1874, which is the number of Volumes.

Hope I understand it well, under this calculation method, he/she is supposed not over the limit 2000, is that right?

That is correct. Using the calculator on the page I linked to above, when you input the figures provided it shows that SL2000 is the correct license type needed.

• Dear EZakes,

Thank you very much. I am now understand more on that.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Jason

• I just have a SL 250 license to get started and I am only monitoring my uplink ports and server ports to get by.  I really like Orion and want to go all out and monitor every port.  Is there a way to find out how many ports that would be?

jkaftan, did this thread give you the information you need to answer your question?