This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using Orion with NetApp products

Hello-

I am new to the site and have been dealing with a question.

We are running Orion Network Analyzer ver 8. We have over 100 different Net App FAS 250 products in the field. We have been successful in monitoring the devices with Orion using SNMP and the MIB provided by Net App. What we cannot currently do is monitor the volume statistics for the device. (Available hard drive space etc.)

After some searching we found that the MIB provided was missing the needed OID string for the Net App volumes being monitored. I have contacted Net App on this but have yet to recieve a reply. As Net App devices are common in the field, I would assume that someone has already resolved this issue, or at least has some information on it.

Any help on this is appreciated.

• Hi,

On this thread, I guess lukezra ended with the same conclusion about the NetApp MIB.

Question: Monitoring volumes on a NetApp SAN...

If the NetApp are mounted from Windows Servers, the below post might help you:

Monitor Window Mount Point Freespace

HTH,

Yann

• Thank you so much for your response.

Unfortunately I have still not been able to isolate the oid string we need.

Upon contact with Net App on issue they did submit the following strings that seemed to be close:

dfKYytesAvail

dfKBytesTotal

The problem is that these seem to report that total amount of space on the filer, not the available space for the volumes.

Any advice you can give is appreciated as we have a deadline on this by tommorow.

Again thank you for all your help.

• Hello,

I recently discovered a WMI Class that allows to monitor Mounted Volumes on Windows servers: Win32_LogicalDisk.

It enables to monitor the FreeSpace and the Size of a mounted volume. I first talked about it there.

If some windows server are using the SAN volumes, you can monitor the client side of the storage instead of the SAN itself.

You will have to use Application Performance Monitor to poll the WMI class if you choose that option.

HTH,

Yann

• Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but we monitor the % in use of our volumes on the netapp with a custom device poller :

oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6

descr:The percentage of disk space currently
     in use on the referenced file system.

• Thank you so much for getting back to me.

We tried that one but it did not seem to give us what we need.

What we are looking for is the ability to monitor the available free space on the volume. Most of the oid strings we have found allow you to monitor the free space on the filer itself, but not an individual volume.

I hear rumor that this oid was left out of the MIB on purpose so you would be forced to purchase a Net App monitoring solution.

Please elaborate on what you are using if you can and thank you again for this. It is as close as we have been able to come so far.

• I think we may have found the information we were looking for.

I want to thank everyone that responded. The information you gave was the best we have recieved during this process. It really was the difference in getting it done or not.

Just wanted to give thanks were it was needed.

• And what MIB's did you use to solve your problem? Please share.

• I would also be interested in what you found?

• Hi all... We have Net App. I've done some looking into custome pollers, and have created a web page from volumes on my net app in the Orion Web console. I will share what I know, but I'm not done yet, as the manner in which the volumes are presented are helpful, but somewhat awkward. Here is a screen shot of of volume information and line charts of used and available volume space.

These first three pollers, I changed the names, so they would be more readable on the website.:

PerCentUsed  1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6  "dfPerCentKBytesCapacity - The percentage of disk space currently in use on the referenced file system."

Status   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.20   "dfStatus - The status of the file system."

Volume   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2   "dfFileSys - The name for the referenced file system."

These next thress pollers gather raw data, but are set to not display on the web site. I thien use the three Define Transitions below to convert to Gigabytes.

dfKBytesAvail   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.5   "The total disk space in KBytes that is free for use on the referenced file system."

dfKBytesTotal   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.3   "The total capacity in KBytes for the referenced file system."

dfKBytesUsed   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4   "The total disk space in KBytes that is in use on the referenced file system."

These are the transitions to GB:

GBAvail   "dfGBytesAvail - The total disk space in KBytes that is free for use on the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesAvail} ),1 )"

GBTotal   "dfGBytesTotal - The total capacity in KBytes for the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesTotal} ),1 )"

GBUsed   "dfGBytesUsed - The total disk space in KBytes that is in use on the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesUsed} ),1 )"

If you use these, remove the quotes. From those, I obtained basic volume names, Available Used and Total space in GB. I hope this helps. As I said, I'm still in process.

Eric

• One more thing, I forgot to say. Notice that the name of the Custom Poller -- I called them "Status" instead of "dfStatus", or I named the transition "GBUsed" -- notice that these same names show up at the top of the table "Tabular Universal Device Poller". So, if you don't want to have a whole lot of space wasted by long column headers, edit the poller name down to a more readable title.

Eric