26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 3:28 PM by ecklerwr1

Using Orion with NetApp products

Hello-

I am new to the site and have been dealing with a question.

We are running Orion Network Analyzer ver 8. We have over 100 different Net App FAS 250 products in the field. We have been successful in monitoring the devices with Orion using SNMP and the MIB provided by Net App. What we cannot currently do is monitor the volume statistics for the device. (Available hard drive space etc.)

After some searching we found that the MIB provided was missing the needed OID string for the Net App volumes being monitored. I have contacted Net App on this but have yet to recieve a reply. As Net App devices are common in the field, I would assume that someone has already resolved this issue, or at least has some information on it.

Any help on this is appreciated.

• Re: Using Orion with NetApp products
          Yann

Hi,

On this thread, I guess lukezra ended with the same conclusion about the NetApp MIB.

Re: Question:  Monitoring volumes on a NetApp SAN....

If the NetApp are mounted from Windows Servers, the below post might help you:

Re: Monitor Window Mount Point Freespace

HTH,

Yann

Thank you so much for your response.

Unfortunately I have still not been able to isolate the oid string we need.

Upon contact with Net App on issue they did submit the following strings that seemed to be close:

dfKYytesAvail

dfKBytesTotal

The problem is that these seem to report that total amount of space on the filer, not the available space for the volumes.

Any advice you can give is appreciated as we have a deadline on this by tommorow.

Again thank you for all your help.

Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but we monitor the % in use of our volumes on the netapp with a custom device poller :

oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6

descr:The percentage of disk space currently
               in use on the referenced file system.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

We tried that one but it did not seem to give us what we need.

What we are looking for is the ability to monitor the available free space on the volume. Most of the oid strings we have found allow you to monitor the free space on the filer itself, but not an individual volume.

I hear rumor that this oid was left out of the MIB on purpose so you would be forced to purchase a Net App monitoring solution.

Please elaborate on what you are using if you can and thank you again for this. It is as close as we have been able to come so far.

I think we may have found the information we were looking for.

I want to thank everyone that responded. The information you gave was the best we have recieved during this process. It really was the difference in getting it done or not.

Just wanted to give thanks were it was needed.

And what MIB's did you use to solve your problem? Please share.

Joel Moore

I would also be interested in what you found?

ebradford

Hi all... We have Net App. I've done some looking into custome pollers, and have created a web page from volumes on my net app in the Orion Web console. I will share what I know, but I'm not done yet, as the manner in which the volumes are presented are helpful, but somewhat awkward. Here is a screen shot of of volume information and line charts of used and available volume space.

These first three pollers, I changed the names, so they would be more readable on the website.:

PerCentUsed  1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6  "dfPerCentKBytesCapacity - The percentage of disk space currently in use on the referenced file system."

Status   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.20   "dfStatus - The status of the file system."

Volume   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2   "dfFileSys - The name for the referenced file system."

These next thress pollers gather raw data, but are set to not display on the web site. I thien use the three Define Transitions below to convert to Gigabytes.

dfKBytesAvail   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.5   "The total disk space in KBytes that is free for use on the referenced file system."

dfKBytesTotal   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.3   "The total capacity in KBytes for the referenced file system."

dfKBytesUsed   1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4   "The total disk space in KBytes that is in use on the referenced file system."

These are the transitions to GB:

GBAvail   "dfGBytesAvail - The total disk space in KBytes that is free for use on the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesAvail} ),1 )"

GBTotal   "dfGBytesTotal - The total capacity in KBytes for the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesTotal} ),1 )"

GBUsed   "dfGBytesUsed - The total disk space in KBytes that is in use on the referenced file system."   Formula: "Truncate(KilotoGiga({dfKBytesUsed} ),1 )"

If you use these, remove the quotes. From those, I obtained basic volume names, Available Used and Total space in GB. I hope this helps. As I said, I'm still in process.

Eric

meddle01

Eric,

Thanks for the great info here.   I too have been looking for the correct OID's for polling our NetApp's.   I've created a device to poll 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6 to extract the % used, and had no problem with it coming up with the volume names like you show above by self selecting the appropriate column table headers upon creation.

I am having a hard time however, creating an advanced alert based on the values returned.    Not so much the trigger condition (I think I have that down), but in using the variables to relay useful information in the email/page.

Does anyone know what variables I can use in the CustomPollers/Nodes area so I could include the Volume with respective dfPerCentKBytesCapacity that it's triggering on?   I don't see anything obvious in there, and all variables I've tried non-useful information.

Thanks

dbaggette

I am struggling with the same thing.  Did you ever find a solution?

ebradford

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't replied to questions here. I no longer work for the same company as I did when I was monitoring a NetApp. My new employer does have Orion, and other SW tools, but no NetApp.

meddle01 said:

I am having a hard time however, creating an advanced alert based on the values returned.    Not so much the trigger condition (I think I have that down), but in using the variables to relay useful information in the email/page.

Does anyone know what variables I can use in the CustomPollers/Nodes area so I could include the Volume with respective dfPerCentKBytesCapacity that it's triggering on?   I don't see anything obvious in there, and all variables I've tried non-useful information.

Since I don't have access to the NetApp pollers right now, I can't specifically comment. But, I can say that I have gotten around this with other alerts by writing data to a web page, and then e-mailing that web page as part of the alert. I have used this in the past successfully with e-mailing tracert output, among others.

Pertaining to NetApp, perhaps you could create a web page on your Orion server with the information you need, then e-mail it to yourself as part of the alert.

Eric

ebradford

One more thing, I forgot to say. Notice that the name of the Custom Poller -- I called them "Status" instead of "dfStatus", or I named the transition "GBUsed" -- notice that these same names show up at the top of the table "Tabular Universal Device Poller". So, if you don't want to have a whole lot of space wasted by long column headers, edit the poller name down to a more readable title.

Eric

ecklerwr1

Also for those interested the entire OID tree for netapp is here for reference:

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/789/NETWORK-APPLIANCE-MIB.html

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Has there been any movement on this? We are not about to spend another grand on an add-on that covers what any other monitoring solution provides out of the box. 

Has anyone been able to find a way to generate an email alert on NetApp volumes (without mounting the volumes on another system to poll from - That is a Mickey Mouse workaround) that displays the volume name as well as the current percent usage? I can use the UnDP to generate an alert when a volume crosses 90% but it is impossible to have the email alert contain the actual percent free value that is triggering the alert. ${CustomPollerStatus.Status} for whatever weird reason displays the volume name and NOT the status of the poller actually generating the alert.

That was one of the easier pollers\alerts to create. We are monitoring all of our critical LUN's\Volumes this way.

Steps to create, WARNING I did this over 6 months ago so pretty generic.

1. Make sure System Manager can monitor the NetApp Filers

2. Create a poller that monitors the volume in question using these two pieces:

1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.6.X - Is the percent used on the Volume

1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.5.X - Is the Kbytes available free on the volume

X is the volume that you want to monitor you will have to find by looking at the volume table. I think here: 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2

A great overall poller to monitor is this one: MiscGlobalStatusMessage 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.2.2.25.0 create an alert when the message changes from: "The system's global status is normal."

ecklerwr1

I have to a agree with this... It's one thing to need to manage all your storage with a tool... another to just want to monitor whether your NAS shares are going to blow up in your standard monitoring tool.

bmrad

Have you tried SolarWinds Storage Manager, it has deep support for NetApp and other arrays, including alerting.

Brian

ecklerwr1

With the NetApps and now with new InfoBlox DNS appliances I'm once again building custom UnDP's and customer Alerts/Reports to solve my problem. We already own a bunch of SW products but I'm not convinced I need another product to monitor my NetApps qtrees.  At least NetApp has a pretty large mib with lot's of good info.  I'll upload some of my new NetApp pollers to Content Exchange to hopefully save some other from going through what I've been through with this....