1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 3:31 AM by jasonyau

Advanced Alerts

We are looking to send SMS text messages to our on call engineers. The trouble is we are concerned about getting hit with multiple alerts when a device with others dependent on it fails.

Does anyone know how to set advanced alerts to trigger just one alert even if multiple nodes alarm? The obvious answer is to use alert suppression but this is not possible in this instance as the network in question is complex and not all dependencies are known. We just want to send an alert saying that there are one or more nodes down.

TIA

Stephen

• Re: Advanced Alerts

Dear swarne,

I read some posts before, I cannot find it once, but the rough layout is when setting the trigger condition, it is something like this

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

condition1 for node1(match name or OID here)

condition2 for node1(match value or status here)

condition1 for node2

condition2 for node2

condition1 for node3

condition2 for node3

In this way, you can have only one alert action if one or more nodes down

However, if you have many nodes, this method is not good enough actually =]

May be after modification of the conditions, it may work properly just like what you want. But I cannot think of it temporary and wish this rough idea can help you to figure out a better solution.

May be someone else can give a better solution to this. Please share with us.

Best regards,
          Jason