18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 12:17 PM by davidmaltby

3.1 Issue

BryanBecker

Not sure if anyone has this same issue or not but every since I upgraded to 3.1 I'm having a big issue with the graphs/data.  Most of my routers (WAN circuits) only show ICMP/UDP data...no TCP.  Of course this was working before the upgrade.  I worked with support and it would only work if I deleted the node in orion and re-added it.  But after a while those broke too.

I haven't heard from support all week and I'm getting ansy with this because its a big issue.

BB

• Re: 3.1 Issue

What is the case number? I'll see if I can get an update.

Thanks, Bryan!

Looking into the case history, there is a note from yesterday morning that support is still working on it, as is development.

cfcuomo@riteaid.com

Funny I discovered two issues today.  Since the uplgrade the Engineers Toolkit is no longer integrated with NetFlow even though it is enabled in my user profile when you right click on an interface you don't get the options.  Second I've noticed that on all the router serial interfaces the utilization doesn't match up with the bandwidth if you double-click on the interface.  For example I had a T1 showing 90% utilized but when I double-click on the interface I'm only showing 20kb.  I also noticed the traffic was only snmp

BryanBecker

Interesting...that's what I'm seeing.  I have serial interfaces with Mbps of data on it but NTA does not show TCP data, it only shows UDP and ICMP.  That's it.

BB

Andy McBride

cfcuomo - - Please open a ticket on these. I was unable to reproduce these issues on my installation.
                      cfcuomo@riteaid.com

I do have a tecket open #79714

BryanBecker

No updates since last Thursday and all they said was it's wait for "development" to look at.  My NTA system is pretty much useless at this point.

BB

Sorry it's taking a bit of time. I checked with Support and Development, and they are still working on it for all of you with the same issue.

BryanBecker

Elisabeth...any update for us?  My management is getting ansy.

Thanks.

davidmaltby

So in the two cases that we've been specifically looking at.  We are seeing in the PCAPs that the TCP traffic is coming through only on a particular interface.  I really don't know how to match your Thwack user name with the individual PCAPs.  So here is the findings.  If the IP number matches your nodes, then I guess you know you're the customer:

***********************************************

In PCAPs is traffic for nodes

74.201.18.18  - interfaces – 121,106,37

74.201.18.19  - interfaces – 106, 115

TCP communication happens only on interface 121 and 115.

These interfaces are disabled/unmonitored in customers diagnostic.

Behavior is correct.

TT#2425:

Focused on node LA-Router.lockton.com(10.255.0.36) from customers screenshot.

Interfaces in PCAP:  1,2,3,4

TCP communication happens only on interface 4 which is disabled/unmonitored in customers diagnostic.

Behavior is correct.

To know more about it we need to have longer PCAP file from suspected node. Is there any reason that these interfaces are not monitored or they were and somehow they was excluded from monitoring??

In NTA 3.1, if you remove an interface in Orion, we remove it from monitoring in NTA.  That is new behavior.  Maybe that is the cause here, but I don't know your individual cases.  Please check that in Orion and in NTA, all your interfaces are monitored.  If your not one of the cases that we studied above, please let me know.  We can invesigate yours as well.

Thanks,
                                    David

BryanBecker

David...I'm not sure if you have my case (Case # 78513).  This has gone on for weeks that my wan circuits running multiple MBs of data only show ICMP/UDP and no TCP.  Removing the whole device from Orion and re-adding it works for a short period of time then it goes back to only monitoring ICMP/UDP.

Like I said before NTA right now is useless and my management wants it fixed ASAP or we have to use a different product.  I'm not sure how this can be escalted any but it really needs to.  I'm available for goto meetings, etc when someone can work on this.

BB

davidmaltby

Bryan,

Tech Support just gave me your diagnostics and sniffer trace file.  I'm reviewing them and will either give you a call or do a GoTo meeting with you shortly.

Thanks,

David

BryanBecker

The support engineer on my case just called me and had me try something.  Before the upgrade to 3.1 I only had the serial interface on my router added to NTA.  That's all I cared about.  He suggested me adding the other interfaces to NTA as well.  Since I've dont this I'm now seeing TCP and everything as expected.  What I find odd is that I have ingress/egress netflow commands on the serial interface only.  The LAN interfaces do not have route-cache flow enabled.

So I guess something changed in 3.1

BB

cfcuomo@riteaid.com

Did you ever get an answer back?  I have a similiar ticket open since upgrading to 3.1 but I haven't received any acknowledgement from their support group indicating a bug.  The other thing I noticed is that the Engineers Toolset integration no longer works