This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP testing

Is there a way to test an SNMP enabled host for having a blank community string? Every tool I have tried from the tolset seems to require that something is entered in the field provided for a community string, but I would like to test a host to see if it is actually blank.

• Quintin - The Toolset (and all of SolarWinds products) require a community string (cannot be blank) when sending SNMP Packets.

Do you actually have any devices that will actually respond to an empty community string?

HTH,

Greg

• So I am being told by a security vendor. I thought the problem was that it used a default community string, but with the default string disabled I tested and it no longer responded so I thought it was fixed. WRONG! it now responds to a blank string according them. I was sent an SNMP walk to prove it. But I wanted to confirm for myself.