4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 1:37 PM by wrosecrans

Orion SQL Server Down Notice

justty

I looking to find out if my SQL server drops, will Orion still alert me that the system is down?

I did testing with the local SQLExpress for Orion and I never got an alert. It seems kinda basic and I would think that the Orion Services would at least alert that SQL is down. If the product is so dependant on it, why isn't there a service to check for a SQL down error to the database?

My problem is that I am running Local SQLExpress and  maybe if I move it to a production SQL box I will get an alert. But I can't move to production server until I get an answer.

Has anyone tested this?

How do you get an alert if your SQL server (that ORION writes too) drops? Are you running a 2nd monitoring tool to watch the SQL server that ORION is dependant upon?

The last thing I want is for my production SQL server to drop and then ORION becoming useless for the alerting.

• Re: Orion SQL Server Down Notice
          Yann

Hi,

If the product is so dependant on it, why isn't there a service to check for a SQL down error to the database?

Solarwinds Services log some events in the Windows Application Log Event when a such error occurs.

Are you running a 2nd monitoring tool to watch the SQL server that ORION is dependant upon?

This would definitely be a good and relevant solution.

A small script running on a third server that checks periodically the status the SQL Service and sends an email in case it is stopped or in an unknown status might be sufficient. However relying on a solid 2nd monitoring solution would make you more confident.

The problem remains the same with a local SQL Express database, if the service stops, your alerts will not be triggered as the AlertingEngine will be in faulted state. I do not think having the SQL Server locally or remotely changes something to the issue.

HTH,

Yann

justty

So why don't you (Orion Solarwinds) create a service to do this? I see this as a short coming in your application.

You are telling me I need to buy a second product to monitor your product? 

The problem remains the same with a local SQL Express database, if the service stops, your alerts will not be triggered as the AlertingEngine will be in faulted state.

I have noticed that is the SQL is not reachable: system down, network path broken, etc... Then avery alert I have triggers and I get bombarded with hundreds of false alarms until the SQL becomes available. I have seen other posts on this as well.

I would love it if the alert engin would go into a faulted state. How can I fix this?

We use Nagios to monitor our SolarWinds systems.  IIRC, SolarWinds APM has a built-in thing for monitoring SQL Servers, so you could use that.  But since our SolarWinds is considered very important, we wouldn't want to risk expecting a partially functioning SolarWinds to notify when part of itself goes down.

For the actual nagios check script for the database, I use a little python script which just connects to the SQL Server, runs a query, and reports if the database is alive.  Not somplicated at all, but it seems to be working great.  We also have the Nagios nsclient++ agent installed on the main Solarwinds machine to monitor the state of all the solarwinds services.