This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Summary Home showing Unknown devices

I have on my network summary home page a list of all nodes, grouped by vendor.

I have the "At the bottom of the list, in no group" marked so that I will see my firewalls (I use only ICMP) but they still get placed under the "Unknown" group. Is it because I only use ICMP or could it be something else?

Orion SL2000 9.1 SP3

• Hi,

Yes this is because you are using ICMP only, as the icmp reply does not give SW enough information to classify.

SW will only know which group to put the device in if it can ascertain the device type from snmp. This applies to an increasing number of devices and more and more obsure devices are being able to be identified.

Regards.

Miron

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Miron

Is it at all possible to edit a field to put these into a "snmp-server community" type group instead of unknown? I monitor 30 some boxes by ICMP only and they all show up unknown. It'd be nice to identify them as something.

Thanks,

Nick

• If on the Network Summary home page for the All Nodes view, if you click on edit for that view you can change the grouping.  Will this get you what you want?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bshopp

I have it broken down according to Status and then Location if I change these values then I won't have the UP/DOWN and then broken down according to location. Does anyone have any recommendations?