This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Syslog Service TCP Listening

Hi,

I am trying to get the Syslog Service to listen on a TCP port instead of a UDP port, for the purpose of testing stunnel (as far as I've read, stunnel cannot push to a UDP port). Here are the steps I have taken. I am using SW Orion NPM 9.1 SP2 SLX.

On client linux machine using syslog-ng -

nano /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf

# BB - adding tcp test
destination orion_tcp { tcp("<orion_server_ip>" port(514)); };
log { source(s_all); destination(orion_tcp); };

On Windows Server 2003 machine hosting Orion -

Not sure if this is recommended, but I edited the following file -

C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Network Performance Monitor V8\SyslogService\SyslogService.exe.config

And made the  following change -

<add key="UDPListenPort" value="0" />
        <add key="TCPListenPort" value="514" />

And the restarted the SolarWinds Syslog Service, and then verified with the following command

C:\netstat -abn | find "514"
  TCP    0.0.0.0:514            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       12304
  TCP    <orion_server_ip>:514         <linux_client_ip>:57446       ESTABLISHED     12304

Here is what the eventlog for SolarWinds.Net says after the restart

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    SyslogService
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1001
Date:        1/22/2009
Time:        4:14:46 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    ORION
Description:
UDP Listening Disabled

For more information, see Help and Support Center at go.microsoft.com/.../events.asp.

Event Type:    Information
Event ID:    1011
Description:
Syslog Collector Started on TCP Endpoint 0.0.0.0:514

For more information, see Help and Support Center at go.microsoft.com/.../events.asp.

Event Type:    Error
Event ID:    1016
Description:
SWSyslogService.ListenForTCPConnection() - TCPServer started-
Server Exception Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Even so, the service is still listening and syslog-ng indicates that the connection is up and running. Though it is listening, none of the log messages that were passing via UDP are passing via TCP in the Syslog Viewer.

After about 5 minutes the netstat command no longer shows established connections or listening on TCP 514.

When it does this, there is nothing of interest logged to -

C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Network Performance Monitor V8\SyslogService\SyslogService.log

So, I know this isn't a whole lot of info to go on. If anything, I first want to ask - am I making the correct (and supported) config change to get syslog to listen on a TCP port? If so, where can I look to see why it quits listening and why it is not actually pushing the messages to the database?

Thanks,
Ben Brewer
Sr. Data Network Technician
Advanced Communications Technology