11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 10:19 AM by denny.lecompte

Feature Request - Map Maker

gwsample

I would like to see a web based version of the map maker tool.  The ability to edit maps from a web browser would be great.  The situation I run into, something changes on a server and one or more interfaces shows as down.  I can now do a list resources from the web site, and add/remove interfaces, all without having to terminal service into the server.  If I could update maps to reflect the changes I made without having to TS into the the server, that would be nice.

• Re: Feature Request - Map Maker
          jeff.stewart

I know that they are working on a major upgrade to the mapmaker tool.  I have no idea of what that consists of, but it has been a request by many.  Maybe someone from SW staff can give you more information.

denny.lecompte

Creating maps on the web sounds a lot better than it actually is.  We looked at it long and hard, and the technology isn't there to provide the same level of functionality that Map Maker provides.  Instead, we are going to provide a much improved version of map maker.  Better usability and the ability to show module data and statistic data on map objects.  More than that I cannot say.

r0berth1

I agree. I think that it would be too slow even if the technology was there. Just look at the difference between adding devices through the management interface on the server and the website.

denny.lecompte

Just look at the difference between adding devices through the management interface on the server and the website.

Are you on v9 or v9.1?

r0berth1

I am using 9.1 SP3. But the difference between the speed of the web console of 9.0 and 9.1 i have not found to be that great. I have another post asking about speed of the website with a map and without a map in general. I have also posted another thread concerning the speed of the web along with my stats of each of the VMs that run the Orion install and the SQL install. I have also talked to Jason Henson on the phone concerning this and am waiting on his reply after he checks on some things.

denny.lecompte

I am using 9.1 SP3. But the difference between the speed of the web console of 9.0 and 9.1 i have not found to be that great. I have another post asking about speed of the website with a map and without a map in general. I have also posted another thread concerning the speed of the web along with my stats of each of the VMs that run the Orion install and the SQL install. I have also talked to Jason Henson on the phone concerning this and am waiting on his reply after he checks on some things.

For adding and managing nodes from the web, there should be a big difference between 9.0 and 9.1.  If you're not seeing that, it's a problem.

r0berth1

Yep, I know. I havent been able to get an answer on the direction that i need to look. I have send in the solarwinds diags, the specs of the Orion VM and the SQL VM. Posted the same in the forums and the only answer i get it to take off the maps. I have taken the maps off of the home page and now instead of the pages taking 10-15 seconds to load it takes 3-6 seconds. That is slow, even for a VM. The 2 VMs are on the same blade so throughput between the 2 are not a problem, they are in a priority 1 cluster so they have priority over other VMs. the blade center is connected via fiber channel (i believe 8 pair of fiber at 1gb per pair) to a cisco 3750E. The 3750E is connected to our core cisco 6509 via 2 10GB fiber links in a Fiberchannel running at 20GB (GM= Gigabits per second for anyone reading this that is wondering) 6509 has a 20GB Metro-E link connected to it. No the speeds are based on 1 local PC (Intel P4 3.0 GHZ, 2 gig ram) connected to the same Cisco 3750E Via 1GB copper (nope the pc is just there for testing the Orion speeds). I have also tested from an identical PC at my remote datacenter which is connected to the main datacenter via 10MB Metro-E, the layout there is a 10MB Metro-E connected to a 6509, that feeds a Cisco 3750 via 2 1GB Fiber pair in a 2GB fiberchannel, and my test PC is connected directly to the 3750. on that PC i am seeing 13-18 second load times per page with the maps, and 6-9 second load times per page without he maps. I have checked everyting between the 2 PCs and dont see any problems. I can copy a 20MB (megabytes) file between the PC is less than 5 seconds, and can copy the same file between either of the 2 PCs to either of the Orion VMs is less that 3 seconds, so i know that i am not having network or hardware problems. My question is what is causing the problem? I know that the maps take a long time and i have them removed for now, but will have to add them back eventually. So taking the maps off is not a solution. With the amount of data that i am monitoring between the 2 servers, the servers and the PCs, there is no reason that the max load times with the maps should be higher that around 2 seconds. I have had my DBA's check the SQL setup and have tweaked the box for max performance so that is out. I have had my VM Engineer check the VMs and they can not see any problems, both VMs meet the specs of a single server install of orion with SQL on the same box for an SL2000 license.

r0berth1

"I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all..." (Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan). I was accidentally born as a Cajun from a small town in south Louisiana. Denny, Where are you from? can not be any further than Eunice, LA. :-)